Motherhood by Choice Not Chance

Wed, 06/08/2011 - 08:52
Submitted by Anonymous

With the "personhood bill" being considered in several states, and unfortunately passed by the house in North Dakota and in the Iowa House subcommittee, women's reproductive freedom is very much in jeopardy. In essence, any fertilized egg would have legal rights with this legislation.

The personhood bill would would ban abortion in all cases and even birth control methods like the pill and the IUD. It would possibly limit In-Vitro fertilization. These are scary times to be a reproductively viable, sexually active woman. So, I am showing another documentary on this issue. It is also by Dorothy Fadiman, and it is called Motherhood by Choice: Not Chance.

Wed, 06/08/2011 - 11:34

Thank you Lillith for posting this doc. Although I lived through the seventies marching for abortion rights, I'd already had a kitchen table abortion without any anesthesia. I also knew the story told by my mother about her trip to the shack on the edge of town.The old woman inserted a turkey feather inside her uterus and sent her home. Although Mother nearly bled to death, she went on to have five more wanted pregnancies and four of us survived. Mother always wanted to have a big family.

These old men with white hair continue to want to control women's wombs although none of them has had a decent erection for years and are impotent. The few women in congress who go against choice are always brain washed Catholics. I was so impressed by the Catholic senator who changed his vote at the last minute to pass Roe vs Wade. And all the other heroes in the documentary. We must not lose our history of how hard we fought for the sanity of a woman's right to chose. And we can do it again!

Wait a sec...

Wed, 06/08/2011 - 20:15

What exactly does that mean, that the bill passed in North Dakota? That abortion is now effectively illegal there, or what?

Thanks for this ! I'm from

Thu, 06/09/2011 - 04:37
Wioleta (not verified)

Thanks for this ! I'm from Europe and even though my right to a safe abortion is not endangered in my country (for now), I feel for those women who, even nowadays, have to struggle when it comes to having a safe abortion. I really hope that those awful anti-abortion bills will stop popping up everywhere, just because a minority of crazy-ass religious fundamentalists are particularly vocal about it. We (pro-choice) don't force anyone to abort, so why do these people think they have the right to control our wombs?

umm..

Thu, 06/09/2011 - 14:00
kkmk (not verified)

Yes, the "personhood bill" did pass the ND House, but it was defeated by the ND Senate; therefore, fertilized eggs do not have legal rights. This also happened 2 years ago and nothing has been said of it since. Forseti, abortion is not illegal in North Dakota and hopefully never will be. I am pro-choice, taking birth control and currently live in ND.

*phew*

Thu, 06/09/2011 - 18:16

Thank goodness it was defeated by the senate. :-)

Yes, a version of the

Tue, 06/14/2011 - 18:53
LilithLand (not verified)

Yes, a version of the personhood bill came close to passing recently in Alabama. I guess proponents of women's sexual freedom can't ever let down their guard. Dr. Betty, I can't imagine what your experience was like. I would have been scared to death. I can't imagine no anesthesia. That must have been horrible. I hope to God those days never come back.

I am shocked!

Fri, 08/26/2011 - 14:06
Kylie (not verified)

I had no idea that the ND government was trying to ban abortions and birth control. I am however quite surprised by the responses. Although I really don't know much about the "personhood bill" I have to agree that abortions should be illegal. I often wish it was illegal in my country. If someone decides to have sex they should do so carefully and be prepared for the consequences. If you are not mature or responsible enough to rise and care for potential children then you should not be having sex. A zygote is a living and growing human, I think they have the right to life.  The only exception would be if the women couldn't bare the children without considerable health risks that could be fatal for her and the baby. Other then that I think abortions are wrong, that's just my personal opinion. However I think banning birth control pills and other aids which prevent conception is ridiculous! I think they should be provided by the gov. to help women that don't want to become pregnant still enjoy an active sex life without a lot of fear of pregnancy.