The Genius of the Menstrual Cup

Thu, 08/09/2012 - 11:22
Submitted by The Intern

I had totally forgotten that I had one in the back of my messy drawer - a menstrual cup. I would have left it in my drawer if it hadn’t been for an article in the Danish newspaper, Politiken, with the headline: Menstrual Cups are So Genius that You Won’t Believe It.

I read the article and took it as a hint since I actually have my period right now. Into the drawer after the cup, into the bathroom and (typically me) without reading any instructions I tried to insert the cup… which was kind of painful until I told myself to relax and got it up there. And are you kidding me I couldn’t feel it at all…it was so comfortable.

Then afterwards I read the instructions and found out that you don’t need to worry about the little “string” at the bottom of the cup. It’s not a funnel with a hole through it; the “string” is for pulling the cup out (of course). Another thing was how to insert the cup. You’re supposed to press the cup together like a “c” and then insert it. I guess it’s different from woman to woman what works the best, but in my case if I press it together too much it’s not going to be comfortable.

There are so many advantages from using this cup:

- there’s no bleeding through your clothes; the cup won’t let anything through – unless you “flood it” (just remember to empty it and pop it back in on heavy days)

- there are no allergy alerts because the cup is made of silicone.

- I read a blog stating that women who are likely to get the yeast infection from using tampons have to worry no more when using the cup

- the last and very important thing is the environmental advantage. Tampons and sanitary towels create a whole lot of trash and women still have a tendency to through these things into the toilet and block it.

So yes, it’s genius. I highly recommend it because I love mine.

I

Thu, 08/09/2012 - 13:23
Christina Cicchelli (not verified)

I <3 menstrual cups. Never did I leak. The cup doth overfloweth once when I forgot to change it. Unlike a tampon, though, I felt it on my leg and was able to empty it before it ruined the rest of my clothes. I'm desperately trying to find some before my next cycle starts. The type I used weren't as fancy schmancy as the one you have posted up. I hate tampons. So much better to have a cup than a bunch of stinky used tampons occupying my trash can.
Once I get them and my exclamation point*, I'll post pictures on the The Mad Maiden!
*My boyfriend's name for my menses. Pretty appropriate, if you ask me :)

Another convert

Thu, 08/09/2012 - 14:54
carlisleorama (not verified)

I have been using a menstrual cup for about a year now. I do find it a little harder to insert than the average woman, I think, and if I don't get it in just right it leaks. But I love that it's reusable, and not just for environmental reasons! No more running out to buy emergency tampons, or begging my coworkers for one because I forgot to stock my purse (the ritual of boiling the cup after a period has gotten me to always remember to put it back in my purse). I love that I can wear it for 12 hours without emptying (assuming I got it in right). I even love having this big collected pool of my menses to analyze- I feel a lot closer to my body and the process because of it!
I use a Diva Cup and have never tried the soft cup (which I hear you can use to stave the flow for sex- something I've never minded, but I'm curious to try it out). Will be getting some of those soon!

Love it, too. I've had a

Fri, 08/10/2012 - 03:36

Love it, too. I've had a couple and I'm never going back to pads and tampons!

Love my cup!

Fri, 08/10/2012 - 09:12

Another cup lover here!  I only ever had two of the tiniest little leaks with my Diva cup, and I could have prevented them by wiping around my cup after insertion.  Anyone wary of leaks could also use cloth panyliners (reusable, environmentally friendly pantyliners, cute as a button, made for women by women running small companies often out of their homes).  Anybody who's curious can find more information on the Cloth Pads forum on Live Journal.

Me, too!

Fri, 08/10/2012 - 10:51

I own 3 different MeLuna Cups, an old version (size M), a newer sports version (M, too) and a newer normal version (size L).
Threy's simply great. I needed some practicing to put them in but  now it works just fine. No leaking, but black panties during those days, just in case. I don't feel the cup at all but I did feel tampons. Pads have never been an option, wearing them feels like wearing diapers.

Bought mine

Sat, 08/11/2012 - 06:16
Taranga Anurag (not verified)

I bought my Menstrual Cup and am looking forward to using it for the first time and experimenting with it.  And the best thing about it is that I can now place my blood back to mother earth in the garden, fantastic......

Menstrual Cups/Instead

Sun, 08/12/2012 - 04:20
Spooky (not verified)

I use a Diva Cup during my period, but when I'm with somebody (my last boyfriend had just as high of a sex drive as I do!) I use the Instead...because you're right, you can use it during sex!  It sits very high in your vagina and most of the time he really won't feel it.

diva cup

Sun, 10/21/2012 - 03:19
blondeinjapan (not verified)

Just want to say that I LOVE this website, great information for all of us. The Diva cup I also love, I'm 52 and have been using Diva for at least 5 years (give or take a few maybe). I had a Keeper  first but the rubber irritated me. The silicon is nicer I think. but for sex during my period, (which I love because the sensations seem more intense), I use a "Sea Pearls" sea sponge! It is perfect because my husband can't feel it and it doesn't get in the way. I disinfect the sponge with tea tree oil (just a drop in water) and dry it out for storage, then wet it and push it way up by the cervix during sex to absorb any extra blood. The sponge is great for spotting days also.

just wanna say, I also use a

Sat, 05/24/2014 - 13:48
palomina (not verified)

just wanna say, I also use a cup
but wouldn't recommend using the string to pull the cup out
use your fingers
and if the cups too far up just squat and press a little
caus as far as I know the cup creates smth like a vacuum/underpressure so pulling at it really hurts caus you kinda pull at your cervix, too
at least for me it hurt that way
but anyway, to each their own

also, I cut my string off caus it was irritating and I could feel it, and I didnt need it anyway :)

Um

Sat, 10/22/2016 - 15:39
Jbeery (not verified)

..during sex? what? I don't think so? My lenacup clearly states NOT use it during sexual intercourse...