The Scroguard For Super Safe Sex and New Condom Recommendations

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 08:18
Submitted by Eric Amaranth

The closest thing to a body condom has arrived! It's called the Scroguard. It's a condom for the scrotum and the entire penis.

The problem with condoms is they don't protect against HPV or herpes infection. Both STD's are transmitted from skin-to-skin contact and while a condom can protect a woman's cervix from an unknowingly infected man's penis, the base of the penis and the surrounding skin is not covered. This comes into contact with her vulva during intercourse where the penis is of a size where it can be fully inserted.

HPV is the virus that can, depending on the strain, cause genital warts and/or cervical or even penile cancer. The latter is typically only in those with substance abuse and/or a compromised immune system, but the virus has also been implicated in the past decade for causing forms of cancer that sets up shop on the base of the tongue or inside the rectum; particularly in people over age 50.

Michael Douglas was quoted, so I heard, saying that his tongue cancer was from going down on too many women during his younger days. It happened to a celebrity, thus, we have to take it seriously. This is an interesting curve ball from possible virus threats. Yeah, you wont be affected by it while you're in your prime, but once the immune system has its natural decline with age, your chances of the virus having its way with you increase dramatically, according to doctors and researchers. Was the anal cancer that killed Farrah Faucet a product of the same situation? I don't know for sure, but it's definitely worth considering.

The Scroguard can't help with unprotected oral sex, but it does a great job of protecting the entire male package during vaginal and anal intercourse. It covers the base of the penis that condoms won't, and like I said, the scrotum too. You then roll the condom down over the penis after the Scroguard is in place. Now, the first thing that came to my mind after seeing how the plan works is skepticism over how reliable the condom is to not roll up particularly during vigorous and rapid sex.

Also, from experience, if you keep the same condom on for up to around 30 minutes without ejaculation, and keep it engaged in some form of action, the elasticity will reduce and condom slip-off or up can occur. Adding a cock ring to the base of the penis to keep the condom in place and the base of the condom rolled down fully over the base is a great addition.

To my surprise, the company that produces Scroguard had the same suggestion, which really impressed me. I see a lot of sexual aid and toy companies produce things that at first glance are good, but fail to some extent because they were unaware of (or ignoring) the little issues orbiting the product's real world use.

I have talked about super safe sex before. It's sex that goes the extra mile to be safe so that your future isn't compromised for sex that may be amazing when it happens, but once it's in the past, it's gone and you may have to pay way too high a price for it one day. It could also be considered an ethics issue. Keeping everyone as safe as possible in sophisticated ways. Yes, sex feels better without a condom. Everyone knows that. Is that increase in pleasure worth it?

Then there are people who are so captivated mentally by condomless sex that they throw away all control or consideration for others and try to bullshit women into having sex with them without a condom. Some evil jackasses even pull the condom before they orgasm inside them. That's the worst of it, but more common are women and men who would rather not have sex at all than wear a condom or do sexual activites that put certain things aside that aren't as safe in exchange for safer interactions.

As a sex life coach, my advice to the team is it's time to get better at this. Time to grow up and start caring about more than the right now and ourselves. Wear parachutes, people, and get the people who think otherwise out of your life. Care about her safety and your own. And her not getting pregnant, to say the very least! Oh, and by the way, cock rings are amazing additions for keeping a condom on to make sure the condom doesnt slip off just before, during, or after ejaculation. No spills allowed! With crude oil or semen.

I tell men all the time that women would be having more sex with them if men as a group in America were as sophisticated with sex as they are with football, guns, cars, boutique beers etc. In Amsterdam, teen males are very smooth and consistent with condom use and when told about how things are in the US, in 2015, they think we're idiots. And they're right.

I understand though that men (and women) are, without rebellion, products of their culture. We have the technology, as they say. Let's use it and start having more sex with the hot people we want and everyone goes to sleep soundly at night.

Sex life coaching and neo-male perspectives.

Dr. Betty what are your views

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 13:42
Anonymous219 (not verified)

Dr. Betty what are your views on safer sex? With the boys I've been it's assured that if you suggest condo ms for bj's you won't get a call back and if it is for cunnilingus they look at you as if you were from outer space. Always a condom for piv in casual sex, but with your main partner?. Using protection for oral seems to be the most troublesome or least acknowledged & awkward at least it has been like that in my experience. They say hpv cancer cells ware off naturally by itself and that we will probably get cancer more from pollution, radiation.... So I really don't know I'm from Europe and I assure you very little men consider receiving or giving oral with protection. Thanks, I would love to know the many opinions of the site.

Super condoms and increasing sexual health

Mon, 01/12/2015 - 14:32

Thanks for spreading the word, Eric, about this new technology. It's important to be both caring and responsible about our partners' health as well as our own. Most of us have got carried away in our youth having unprotected sex at some time or other, and most of us have no way of being fully informed about the sexual history of our partners and what they (or we) might have unknowingly passed on. The responsible thing is to get ourselves tested eventually for any conditions that might be a problem for a partner's health or for our own, be treated if possible, and then take the appropriate precautions in the future. Safety first. The other factor is that PIV intercourse is culturally over-emphasized as being synonymous with 'having sex'. Hetero couples can do all sorts of wonderful things together without the penis ever entering the vagina, and spreading the word more widely about the joys of non-PIV sex could increase our overall sexual health and enjoyment tremendously.

Here's an idea, if catching

Thu, 01/15/2015 - 08:12

Here's an idea, if catching something icky from sex worries you so much, don't have sex. Or get tested for the icky things first and insist your would-be partner does too. Why would you go foward with sex trusting a microthin layer of latex is gonna protect you? Talk about a boner-killer. "I'm assuming you're contagious, but let's have sex anyway." Morons.

Morons?

Thu, 01/15/2015 - 09:15

I'm not quite sure what you're targeting as moronic. Are you saying that condom use ruins spontaneity and provides such poor protection that they're not worth bothering with anyway? Personally, I worry about people who don't worry about whether they're catching or passing on 'something icky'. Getting tested is a good idea but as far as I'm aware, condom use does substantially reduce the risk of STDs. So, of course, does avoiding the riskiest kinds of sex or even avoiding sexual contact entirely.

This is marketed as a full

Sat, 08/29/2015 - 16:05
Jim S (not verified)

This is marketed as a full coverage condom protect from STDs, unfortunately according to their own site:  Scroguard™ is not a medical device and has not been evaluated or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.

They are completely misrepresenting the usefulness of their product.

HPV & safe sex

Sun, 08/30/2015 - 10:55

Patrick
In the UK all girls are now offered free of charge the HPV vaccination (gardasil) at school between the ages of 12 and 13 to protect them against cervical cancer. In the UK nearly 3,000 women are diagnosed with this disease every year. The new vaccines are expected to be effective for around 20 years and save roughly 400 lives each year. Is this now provided in the US as standard as well?

The NHS information suggests that HPV is the most common STD in the UK with upto 50% of the population infected at some time during their life, mostly without symptoms.

Obviously herpes doesn't kill most people (though someone has posted on this site describing a near-death experience because of complications). But speaking as someone who has herpes simplex (mouth cold sores) I would much prefer not to have caught the virus, and would like my daughters to avoid it if at all possible. I would not wish to catch nor to transfer herpes simplex from my mouth to my partner's genitals. I certainly wouldn't want to catch herpes complex from anyone.

So what advice do I give to my daughters?

Well, Jeffrey's suggestion that if you don't want to catch anything icky, don't have sex doesn't seem especially practical in this context. It sounds too close to advising abstinence as a way of avoiding pregnancy and we all know how well that's working for teenage America.

Teenagers are going to have sex. Icky sex.

So my advice is related to mitigating risk rather than avoiding it entirely. And in that context, condoms are a sensible suggestion.

But above and beyond barriers to infection (and I can still hear my girls groaning as I said this) you need to take a good look at what you're thinking about putting inside of your body. You need to seriously check out the guy's penis with your eyes, your hands, your nose and your mouth.

If you don't like the look of it (verucas, warts, pus filled extrusions of any kind) then walk away.

If you don't like the feel of it (rough, broken skin, rashes or scabs) then walk away.

If you don't like the smell of it (dirty, sour or sickly sweet) walk away.

If you can't imagine putting it in your mouth, just don't even think about putting it your vagina - walk away.

And none of this has to be clinical. I can't remember the last time I had good sex without enjoying the journey, without serious looking, feeling, tasting (cue serious groans from the daughters).

Be aware of the risks that you're taking. Avoid the ones that you can avoid. Mitigate the risks that you really want to take. Enjoy sex. Enjoy life.

Ofcourse my advice to my daughters assumes a degree of sex-positivity and self-confidence. My advice assumes an understanding of what consent looks like and feels like in a sexual context.

HPV, teens, and staying healthy

Mon, 08/31/2015 - 04:03

NLH,

I'm not of course an epidemiologist, but HPV coverage in the States is not what experts would like to see. The HPV vaccine is available here and is recommended. Responsible pediatricians do encourage parents to have their children vaccinated, but there is widespread paranoia here about vaccines in general and too many parents believe that there is some sort of government conspiracy aiming to force their children to undergo inoculations that will harm them. HPV vaccinations are recommended in the US beginning at age 11 or 12, but certain parents are horrified by the implication that THEIR child might need a vaccine to protect against a sexually transmitted disease. Just a few days ago, I saw an interview in which a female physician tried to persuade a mother to let her daughter be vaccinated against HPV. The mother was totally resistant and said that she taught her daughter chastity and abstinence, and therefore no such vaccine was ever going to be needed. It's hard to know how to combat such willful ignorance; I guess education, education, and more education is the only answer.

Adolescent HPV vaccine coverage here is slowly increasing, but still dangerously low. It also varies widely by state. According to the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/who/teens/vaccination-coverage.html):

• For girls, state-level coverage with at least one dose of HPV vaccine ranged from 38.3% in Kansas to 76.0% in Rhode Island.
  • For boys, state-level coverage with at least one dose of HPV vaccine ranged from 23.2% in Indiana to 69.0% in Rhode Island.

Three doses of the vaccine provide the most complete protection, and an even smaller number of American teens receive all three doses. It's an uphill battle, with resistance based on denial and prudery probably being the biggest barriers.

I think that you have absolutely done right by your girls in being specific with them about how to protect themselves. All children groan when their parents and sex intersect in any way, but you did the responsible thing. Someday your daughters will appreciate your frankness and will better understand why you insisted that they sit down and listen to you. You're teaching them to use care and good judgement when they become ready to discover consensual partner sex; you know that that time will come, as some parents seem sadly unable to admit, thus leaving their children vulnerable to impulse and ignorance. And I'm sure that your daughters are also absorbing your important messages about sex positivity, even if right now they're more embarrassed than grateful.