Stop the FDA From Taking Our Vitamin Supplements

Thu, 09/22/2011 - 09:14
Submitted by Eric Amaranth

As many of my readers know, I periodically blog on wellness issues. It's a sidebar of knowledge I bring to my sex life coaching services. The topic of this post is very important. Click here to visit the www.mercola.com page on this topic.Skip the video at the top, and read the relatively short page on the FDA's (Food and Drug Administration) attempts to create conditions that would ban or drive up the price on many affordable, quality supplements that we all take for granted at this point in time. Supplements that your parents or other loved ones may take even if you don't.

I was surprised to see in the mercola.com info that the FDA already attempted this back in 1994 when I was a junior in high school and blissfully unaware of civic duty. Now the FDA is trying again and we have to stop them once again until they get the message, if ever.

At the bottom of the page on mercola.com, they give you a very easy to follow guide on contacting your congressional representative. They also give you an easy way to figure out who that is. One thing I want to add though is when you call your representative, tell the staffmember to inform your rep to:

1. Vote against the newly introduced Dietary Supplement Labeling Act.

2. Request that Congress hold hearings and take action to review the FDA's draft guidance because it flies in the face of the original congressional intent of the Dietary Supplement Health Education Act.

This is easier than getting out and voting, peeps. Make it happen so that vitamins and other effective supplements do not become the equivalent of high-priced pharmaceutical drugs here in the United States.

Back to Eric Amaranth's Blog

[i]Eric Amaranth's Bio[/i] [i][/i]

[i]Contact Eric for a consultation[/i] [i] [/i]

[i]Follow Eric Amaranth on Twitter [/i]

[i] [/i][i]Join Eric Amaranth's Facebook Page[/i]

Sex life coaching and neo-male perspectives.

Mercola's a Quack

Thu, 09/22/2011 - 11:18
Scented Nectar (not verified)

Please don't support the pseudo-science quackery of Mercola. He's caused a lot of harm. If you want links, let me know. He's been debunked, and shown to give medically harmful and false advice. This blog has too legit a reputation to taint it with Mercola's made up illnesses and unproven cures. Please, please, research this guy before turning this site into a woo-filled, conspiracy-theoried, quack promotion. You guys are too important a site to let that pull your reputation down.
Seriously, this guy is very bad news.

I've always been advised to

Thu, 09/22/2011 - 15:06

I've always been advised to get my vitamins from food. There are studies that show no health benifits from vitamin pills at all for the majority of people who can digest solid food.

Here's a link to one of the

Thu, 09/22/2011 - 16:20

Here's a link to one of the studies.

There are a lot of vitamin

Thu, 09/22/2011 - 17:54
tim1724 (not verified)

There are a lot of vitamin and supplement pills out there which have dangerous compounds in them … a huge number of them even have heavy metals such as arsenic and lead!

We need much more regulation of these things in the US.  Europe only allows those which are proven to be safe to be sold.  We have no such rules in the US; call something a "supplement" and you can sell it with pretty much no restrictions at all.  (The only restriction is that you can't make specific medical claims, such as "taking supplement X will cure disease Y" … if you do that, it's classified as a drug and has to undergo the safety testing that is required for drugs.)

hmmmm

Fri, 09/23/2011 - 03:44

i think people are smart enough to make their own choices. we don't always need big brother to tell us who what when where and why. Let us make our own choices as we have to live with the consequences.
look up codex alimentarius....
the UN is behind this.

life's complex

Eric Amaranth's picture
Fri, 09/23/2011 - 11:12

First, thank you for your compliment on how my blog is legit despite the fact that there are others I'm sure who would disagree with you for their reasons be they legit or biased. Yes, please send those links to eric-at-dodsonandross-dot-com.

My findings of Mercola's research is he most often draws on the reasearch that's done by other professionals that isnt seeing the light of day. I've used and do use several of his products and have been very happy with their results. One particularly notable one is his airtube cell headset.

I'm not convinced, Scented Nectar, that he's a quack. I may not agree with or pay attention to everything he says, but he does his homework well and sites his research refs at the end of his posts. He's also standing up against some very large, wealthy forces out there who do not want his message to create change because they stand to make a great deal of money at the expense of the people.

Mercola covered the new emergence of the antibiotic resistent strain of gonorrhea in Asia, which I blogged on before he did. Not quackery.

By the way, he is a staunch monogamy proponent as a disease preventative measure, firstly, and secondly from his own personal beliefs on how human relationships are best handled. He says that as new STD viruses come into being, decade by decade, you are obviously safer by sticking to a traditional route. Technically, he's right! That would keep you safer. Do I agree that his position is realistic or applies to everyone in every circumstance in life? No. Do I think people have a right to choose monogamy or that monogamy is healthy for those who choose it based on their circumstances? Absolutely. Anyway, for the moment, Mercola's presence on my blog stays.

I agree and disagree, Jake

Eric Amaranth's picture
Fri, 09/23/2011 - 11:33

I do agree that getting your vitamins and minerals from food is best. However, not every food source is rich with nutrients. Much of that depends on the soil in which its grown. Reasearch that. It's very interesting.

Further, vitamins can be lifechangers for people with vitamin deficiencies. I was one of those people. I blogged on this a year or more ago. I was eating a very healthy diet, however, I was experiencing weird neurological symptoms I'd never had before. I did my blood work and found that my B12 stores were drastically low. So low, that the lab report said to the doctor that "patient may be experiencing neurological symptoms" or some such. I went on a 5000 mcg a day for 6 months regimine of methyl B12 from Jarrow formulas and the symptoms disappeared. My blood test was done again and my B12 stores were nice and full, so to speak.  Since then, Mercola carries a great B12 product that I use once a week now.

The reason why I was deficient was because B12 is found primarily, in large quantities, in red meat. Vegetarians often have B12 deficiencies due to this and sometimes choose to supplement. I wasn't eating much red meat. Chicken and pork and fish mostly. Point is, quality vitamins in pill form can be tremendously useful to health and can be utilized by the body. Point two, there are manufacturers like Jarrow who make a quality product. Yes, I agree there are dishonest companies. You have to do your homework to find the white hats. Point three, even with a healthy diet, you can still be very deficient in cetain things.

Iodine is another one I've talked about. Do some research on what foods you eat that have sufficient iodine. It's not table salt, trust me. Your body needs iodine for proper thyroid function. It's all about the seaweed. How many people besides the Japanese like to eat lots of seaweed? How many people live as long as they do?

Also, check out mercola's info on vitamin D3. He's not the only one out there talking about it and our pandemic deficiency of D. That was another vitamin I was deficient in which you cannot get in sufficient quantities from your food. That's from sunshine, if you want it naturally. How much time do you spend in the sun between the hours of 11 and 1pm? Me? I'm inside working like almost everyone else.

Now, to draw it all together, if these new proposed regs I'm blogging on were in place at the time I needed B12, the bottle of vitamins wouldn't have been $18.00. It would have been a lot more. Could I have afforded it without prescription drug insurance? Maybe. Not everyone has the same income level.

The UN?

Eric Amaranth's picture
Fri, 09/23/2011 - 11:43

Now here's one perspective I'm not so into at the moment. The UN as a force of evil? Who knows? Maybe it'll turn out that way. Conspiracy theories are funny that way. For the moment, until a blue and white-clad UN stormtrooper is knocking on my door, I'll say nay.

One perspective I am into is how powerful special interests and corporations have historically utilized government mandates and legislation to forward their agendas. If that's not true, then why does Big Pharma and last I heard, the telcomm industry, employ the largest number of lobbyists in Washington? All you have to do is pick up a history book. There is a reason why Jefferson, I think, wanted the national capitol moved from New York City to Washington DC.

That's true! Sort of.

Eric Amaranth's picture
Fri, 09/23/2011 - 12:04

There are black hats in the supplement business. As I said previously, there are white hats and it's the consumer's job to do their homework. Now, if the regs are put into place as these propose, only major corporations with millions of dollars behind them will be able to afford to pay the FDA off for their requirements. Thus, giving pharma a monopoly or virtual monopoly, on the supplement industry. 90%+ of the revenue from supplement sales will go to them and they will be the ones controlling how they are made. Regulations can be good and they can be abused. Do more research on the pharmceutical industry and their history of product safety.

Here's a gerat example of how Big Pharma isn't always as careful as we imagine they are:

Did you know that Betty's compunding pharmacy was under attack by Roche at one point in an effort to shut them down? All of them? (not just hers, all compounding pharmacies) Big Pharma makes hormone replacement therapy in two strengths, typically: regular and extra strength. That's what we see in things like Tylenol, right? Well, HRT is more precise. If neither dosage is good for a given woman, she's out of luck.

However, compounding pharmacies give an obgyn the ability to tell them exactly what proportions of testosterone to progesterone to use and their formulations are reportedly more bio-compatible to the body. A precise dosage is possible, not just regular and extra large. If Big Pharma had their way, that's all the women in your life would get to choose from, tim1724. How does that make you feel?

Well yes :)

Fri, 09/23/2011 - 14:11

Eric Milk and eggs are good source of iodine. I was vegetarian but I eat fish now for the omega fatty acids and B12. I eat pretty much a cave dwellers diet so with organic food the trace elements and nutrients are in the soil.

If you can't eat wholefood then anything that needs an unseen recipe always needs  extra overseeing.

I'd class supplements as prepared food, like bread and cakes and sweets, so they must adhere to food safety standards.  If I made a dietary supplement and i felt unjustly persecuted by the FDA I'd make my supplement into a food. So I'd sell fortified  orderves. Tasty little squares of kelp orderve

Milk and eggs?

Eric Amaranth's picture
Fri, 09/23/2011 - 14:15

I dont agree with your statement that milk and eggs are a good iodine source. Where's your data from on that? Same with fish. Did you know a lot of fish has PCB's and mercury? Let alone the issues with farmed fish. I ate fish and became deficient as I just stated in my comment. Have you read the mercola report? It doesn't sound like you have because you're oversimplifying. Do your homework, Jake.

Good point about the iodine

Fri, 09/23/2011 - 16:44

Good point about the iodine in milk and eggs, it's just something widely reported on the net, which doesn't make it true, so I tried to find a study
I know  fish can contain PCBS and mercury but if you eat large fish like Salmon 3 times a week that minimises your exposure. I'm not deficient in B12 at my last blood test and every one has different dietry requirements.
I think your being a bit confrontational when you don't need to be. All I've said is I preferr to get my nutrients and vitamins from whole foods. If people can't do that then finding sources of novel whole unprocessed food is cheaper than going to the expense of processing, but if the novel food like Kelp is unavailable then you have to take a suppliment. I can't really see what your contension is with that. If the FDA is acting unfairly that's wrong, but a basic level of food safety has to apply. But if suppliments are unfairly restricted and there's no other way of solving that, then I've suggested offering products as part of a fortified food as many breakfast cereals and bread are but as an ingredient not an additive.  Please try and chill out there's no bad karma coming your way from me.

Start with this. Not the 2

Sat, 09/24/2011 - 09:21
Scented Nectar (not verified)

Start with this. Not the 2 google ads at the top, but the pages and pages of articles (mostly written by REAL scientists) listed below. His made up disease 'Morgellan's' has been debunked bigtime, plus there is a load of other stuff. I suspect though, that if you are currently believing Mercola's hyperbull, then no matter how much evidence I show you countering that, you will probably just do the usual "big pharma is coming! big pharma is coming!" excuse to not listen to the facts (I hope not though).
If you want to turn this wonderfully educational sex-positive blog into a conspiracy nutter's delight, nothing I can do about it. I will be unable to change your mind as you feel persecuted and fear vaccines and black helicopters, etc. You will go ahead and think there's a gov't conspiracy to depopulate slowly through contrails releasing non-existant Morgellans spores/larvae/bugs.
There is a psychological condition called parasitosis, where the patient thinks there are bugs under their skin. They scratch those areas severely. Notice how morgellans claims fiber-making bugs under the skin that create sores. Funny though, since in every picture, the sores ONLY show up in spots the fingernails can reach (ahem, parasitosis anyone?). Mercola claims that the FBI examined these fibers and covered up the truth. Well, the FBI are not biologists or medical researchers, and there is no evidence of that claim. It's just playing on people's fear of gov't conspiracies. Every REAL expert has found that the fibers were from clothing that got onto the sores.
Mercola's been a joke for years, but still gets gullible people to buy his products and his conspiracy theories.
I seriously hope you read the many articles I linked to above, and explore further too, since that's just one of many science sites on the web that have debunked him.
And remember, just because 'big pharma' is out to make money, so is 'little pseudo-pharma'. At least the former has some regulations and controls on it. It may not be perfect, but it's a lot better than quackery which can claim anything it wants to without having to prove it.