Pharmaceutical Drugs Can Kill Your Orgasm

Sat, 01/29/2011 - 11:40
Submitted by Eric Amaranth

I was working with a client last week who gave me permission to write on the situation she approached me with. We'll call her Thera. She came to me saying that within the past week or so, she literally lost her ability to orgasm. Thera wanted to know what a sex life coach could do to help her.

I deal with difficulty having orgasms despite favorable sexual stimulation already in place in one's sex life, in both men and women. The only thing I could imagine was the cause was a drug Thera may have been taking or just began. I was right. She said after she stopped taking her sleeping medication, after I told her to ask her doctor first before stopping any meds, that her orgasm gradually returned. Needless to say she was very happy.

This isn't the first time drugs have gotten in the way of orgasm. Many anti-depressants have the effect where you can enjoy sexual stimulation and get aroused, but you get a glass ceiling after you get close to having an orgasm. You can't quite get over the edge, so people have reported and I have witnessed. I learned from a psychologist that men have been using Prozac for a decade, even when they had no symptoms requiring an anti-depressant, because it staved off their orgasms and gave them a silver bullet for premature ejaculation. A quick fix magic pill.

Apparently the premature ejaculation and the combination of penis sensitivity and the ease of erotic trigger in these men's minds still let them orgasm, but the prozac makes it much harder. I was surprised that psychiatrists were giving perscriptions out for this reason. The thoughts are/were that an anti-depressant does not have much of an effect on a person who doesn't need them, so they thought, "Why not?" Well, the men taking them could lose their orgasm possibly. I'd also prefer men learn non-drug related ways to control ejaculation for their long term health, sexual sophistication, and pleasure.

I saw research about long term use of anti-depressants eliminating someone's ability to orgasm altogether. The studies most likely did not wait to see if the subjects could regain their orgasm over time after coming off the drug, however, I have seen a client or two who had been using anti-depressants for over 15 years and now seem to be permanently affected. Time will tell. Keep that in mind, everyone!

-Fin

For those new to my blog, I sometimes write on my and others' sex life, in erotica form, because many of us need only read of an example of what really is possible. It so often lights a desire to "Want to do that. Feel that." A want to learn how to have better sex through sex advice and sex education, maybe for the first time in their lives. I also intend to present to my readers the reality of great sex from basic to advanced. Finally, ever wonder how good the sex that your sex therapist or sex educator is having in their sex life really is? I have. I'm not a sex therapist, I don't do sex therapy. I'm a sex life coach. I teach and I do.

Back to Eric Amaranth's Blog

[i]Eric Amaranth's Bio[/i] [i][/i]

[i]Contact Eric for a consultation[/i] [i] [/i]

[i]Follow Eric Amaranth on Twitter [/i]

[i] [/i][i]Join Eric Amaranth's Facebook Page[/i]

Sex life coaching and neo-male perspectives.

I've wanted to broach the subject

Sat, 01/29/2011 - 13:05
WildOrchid (not verified)

of treating men for PE with SSRIs for some time now. This kind of treatment is a standard amongst certified sexologists in Poland. The treatment takes a couple of weeks and after that period the man stops taking the pills but the body remembersthe new pattern. The trick is selecting the right SSRI so that it doesn't diminish the libido or deleay the orgasm too much (or indefinitely).
I regularly listen to an audio show with a sexologist (Andrzej Depko, MD). He pushes this kind of treatment as a best bet. He dismeisses excersizes for ejaculatory control as too complex for an average man, too much a hassle and not effective in every case.
I haven't made up my mind yet. On one hand the treatment is safe and effective on the other if you master ejaculatory control you get much more than say 2-5 more minutes of intercourse. You get to choose when you come.
I think what I would do if I was a man with PE. Based on my exploration of my body I think I would take the lazy way out: buy a fleshlight to train up a bit and then if the problem persisted visit a doctor. I think that because there are lots of high level sexual skills that I could learn solo but I don't do that. Recently I've been listening to Sheri Winston. She has amazing ideas. And yet I don't do the work required to apply them.

I've been on SSRIs and

Sat, 01/29/2011 - 21:04
TinaSE (not verified)

I've been on SSRIs and medications for ADHD since I was six. I regret this, but I didn't have a choice at the time. I am still on SSRIs at age 24 to treat my depression.

I have touched myself my entire life, and was never taught that masturbation was bad. I touch myself because it feels good. If I'm sitting around alone I still do it. That being said, I had my first orgasm at the age of 18. I achieved orgasm with a vibrator that I got on a whim because I was old enough to. Ever since then I have owned a vibrator, and at the moment I masturbate to orgasm every day. I usually get 2 to 3 orgasms. I'm also taking sleeping pills, SSRIs, and the pill.

I would still like to be able to achieve orgasm without a vibrator, but maybe this has happened because of my prolonged exposure to medications. At the same time I am skeptical about sexual dysfunction from my medications because I have always had a high libido, and I can get off in less than a minute with a vibrator on my clitoris. Sometimes I think to myself that my friends who have never used a vibrator are lying abut their orgasms, but I know that's probably offensive.

I just thought I would put in my two cents about being on prescription medications for two thirds of my life. I hope it's not too late to get that orgasm without a vibrator. I would love to have partnered sex without having to listen to that buzzing. :( But I'm grateful for what I've got.

SSRI use

Mon, 01/31/2011 - 12:36

I'm surprised to hear that, WildOrchid. An MD sexologist publically telling people to use a drug for an unintended use. I thought that was illegal, under the table sorts of things.

I also hadnt heard that the effects are lasting if applied in a certain way. I'm of the camp that would rather rely on being like Rocky training in the gym for the long term and get what I want naturally than chemicalize my brain and nervous system to do it. I ask what the really long term side effects are. How long do men last for ejaculation control after this process? You said 2 to 5 minutes. That's it?

Further, I have a great track record of premature ejaculation resolution with my methods and in addition to those methods, things to do in the bedroom that are also awesome when you dont last as long as you would like and are on the road to developing that. That's always the way I like to teach. When a woman sees you are taking steps to improve and are also bringing other hot sex things into her life while that process is on-going, it makes a big impression and gives her patience as well as satisfaction. The side effect to that, after you get your come control, is you know all kinds of skills AND you can last as long as you want. That's a side effect that I want and want for my clients.

I see are people who commit themselves to working out and dont use steroids. I see people taking up yoga or tai chi or martial arts and understand that the practice moves them forward over time and they take joy when the little advancements happen. I share in moments like that with my sex life coaching clients on particular things they may be working on too. Sex can very much be an art form like yoga or whatever that gets better and better over time. And in my opinion, it's the most fun to practice when you know how to best practice it. ;-)

orgasms on meds

Mon, 01/31/2011 - 12:41

Thanks for the feedback, Tina. It's good to know that people using meds are also having orgasms in addition to those who are not. There's most often a spectrum for every sex issue out there. I don't see this as taking meds off the hook, but it's good to know a variety of reports.

SSRI's and PE -- Missed a Phrase in Wild Orchid's Posting?

Thu, 02/03/2011 - 15:17
KateDonovan (not verified)

Uhhh, Eric, I think you miss-read WildOrchid’s post.  She said, “… I haven’t made up my mind yet.  On one hand the treatment is safe and effective on the other if you master ejaculatory control you get much more than say 2-5 more minutes of intercourse.  You get to choose when you come. …”  The emphasis is mine, to highlight the relevant text.

Just thought I should point out what seems to be a misunderstanding on your part.  However, this is NOT a disagreement with your position!  As the wife of a man who takes a number of psycho-active drugs to treat his PTSD, depression, and sleep disorder, I can speak first hand of how devastating these drugs can be to the libido long term.  We haven’t been able to have sex for over 18 years, and he hasn’t even masturbated for well over a decade.  No, it isn’t fun, no we’ve not been able to find a solution that suits us both, and no, the VA provides no assistance for partners of the veterans to whom they prescribe these drugs.  Off my soapbox now.  Just want to say, Thanks! You do nice work.

Off-label use

Tue, 04/26/2011 - 05:10

Drugs do what we want them to, they do what they can do, and they do what we don't want them to. Each of us responds differently to a drug (a psych drug like an SSRI) because each is hard-, firm-, and soft- "wired" already. (Neural density is at the root of it) Each psych drug fits the various receptors--*not* like a like in a key, but like a penis in a vagina! One size does not fit all, and the we might enjoy the penis just because it's attached to the one using it! Or because we read an ad that says we'll enjoy it, or that accepting it into ourself, our body, will give relief from distress. And sometimes, so often, yes, it does provide relief.
The main problem is the client needs either a college course in psychopharmacology and brain function, plus an all too often *assumed* ability to express internal feelings and states of mind, *or* a very trusting relationship with the administering doctor (either), for psych drug adminstration to be fair and effective. Of the two, the first empowers the client more, and the last is more accessible, while costing more money for visits.
Off label use is *inevitable* because the lock is a vagina and the pill is a penis. It's a soft-lock, soft-key situation where what happened to one client may not (probably won't) happen to the next. It's a long term grueling self-experiment in balance and mindfulness. Mindful record keeping of moods and/or sexual experience or performance (or lack), sharing it, judging it, judging the effect of an administered drug, giving feedback to the doctor, assertively establishing that feedback has been received and understood. Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to percieve our world (reality) through the veil of drugs, so eas'ly taken.
Basically, on-label means peer-reviewed effective for that purpose, and therefore insurable when prescribed, while nobody says that opening a paint can with a screwdriver (off label) is a crime. Ya gotta get the paint on the wall somehow. We know A does B. Does it do C? Well, for patient E, it did. For patient F, it did not. That's what is real.
Eh.
Moresex notequalto bettersex.
Nosex closeto badsex exceptfor preistsex.
Moredrug notequalto betterdrug.
Nodrug closeto gooddrug.
Before pills: Chop wood, carry water, fall down stairs.
After pills: Chop wood, carry water, take pills, see doctor, stay in balance, avoid stairs. (grins)
Doug
Eric wrote:

I think I may be able to help

Thu, 04/28/2011 - 15:36

Thank you for the refocusing, Kate. Also, consider contacting me for a consultation. I may be able to give you and your husband some great alternatives or possible solutions for your sex lives.

Thanks!

Thu, 04/28/2011 - 15:36

for the clarification,  Dana. Good to know. :)