Everyone, I Want A Name For "...Her Sex."

Thu, 06/11/2009 - 18:15
Submitted by Eric Amaranth

To call the totality of a woman's sex organ, inside and out, a vagina, is not accurate and puts to a halt advanced understanding. It is no more correct to call the penis "a urethra" than it is to refer to the female sex organ as simply the vagina. The vagina is the birth canal. A single part out of many that make up a woman's "sex."

Anatomists created a name for the totality of the action-part of the male reproductive organs: penis. No single word has ever been coined that isnt a slang term for that which refers to everything inside and outside a woman's... pussy. For lack of a better term? We can say vulva. However, that encapsulates all the external parts but it leaves out the internal parts. As it stands in our culture's present state, we say vagina as a stand-in, but that leaves out the clitoris, urethral opening, mons pubis, and labia minora and majora.

To say nothing of how both vulva and vagina leaves out the erotically sensitive erectile tissue and nerve plexuses inside the vaginal walls. The Spots. G, PS, A, the D's, and the vestibular bulbs of the clitoris. Which do feel good when massaged and pressed but have yet to be given a handy "_-spot" name. We say cock for a slang term for penis. We say pussy for everything that is and is of her sex organs. Sometimes cunt, but that often refers to a slang term for vagina. And of course, none of these terms can be used in polite or non-erotic (or offensive)/slang discussion.

The two words/phrases that come close to what I want is "yoni;" the sanscrit word for, as far as i understand its usage, anything and everything inside and out of a woman's sex organ. However, that carries with it tantric sex weight and beliefs that not everyone holds dear or understands fully. The second is "my sex" or "her sex" to refer to the totality, but it's not a single word and confusing
on its own without context clues. I do like it. I've used it a
lot in writing and discussion, but to say, her sex, people say, "What?"
and i have to explain.You can also say, "his sex." As my lover Olivia recently penned for the first time that I've seen it used that way.

One word. I can imagine our world with that word in it. Can you? It doesnt have to be approved by anatomists. It just has to work in formal discussion and refer to the totality. I wont be so arrogant as to attempt to create that word. I put it to all of us out there to create it. Then, once we decide on it, we have to start the work of planting it firmly in everyday use. Because if this doesnt happen, as Betty Dodson taught me from day one, the assumption will be "the vagina" is all a woman's sex organ is, or the primary part of interest. The almighty birth canal. For her pleasure and her partner's. That's the unspoken reality that has frustrated Betty for decades. The Vagina Monologues. A great first step. Time for the second one. It is an inaccuracy that feeds a lie and a disservice. And no, vajayjay doesnt work either. It's slang-light for vagina.

I want other feminist websites to catch this and help womankind get this done so we can move on to the things about that which makes us all weep, moan, breathe, and roar for better or best. Everyone post your ideas as comments to this blog. Thanks all. :)

Eric Amaranth's Blog

Eric Amaranth's Bio and Feature Article in Marie Claire Magazine.

Submit your sex question to Eric.

Follow Eric Amaranth on Twitter

Join Eric Amaranth's Facebook Page

To set up a sex education appointment via phone, skype, or in-person with Eric, send an email, call or send a fax to our automated system: 1-866-877-9676.

Sex life coaching and neo-male perspectives.

quote: "Anatomists created a

Fri, 06/12/2009 - 07:08
claire (not verified)

quote: "Anatomists created a name for the totality of the action-part of the male reproductive organs: penis."

but "penis" doesn't involve the balls, which are also part of the action/the male sex/the male reproductive organs, does it?

maybe i don't get the linguisitc details, i'm no native speaker.

Her Sex

Fri, 06/12/2009 - 11:32
Lance Cassidy (not verified)

I think using the word sex in describing one's parts obfuscates the intent. Sex already has a meaning and it is so easily confused when you use it because it comes out like an action. My Sex = My Action. Her Sex = Her Action. That's how I respond to it at least.

I wonder if it is necessary to have a word that describes everything, inside and out for either gender. Penis is only the penetrating portion and vagina is the penetrated (or birth) portion so I think those two words are on par. I use the word package to describe the whole deal inside each gender's underwear. I've used the work Junk in professional settings a few times and I was looked down upon for that word. I've not tried package, but it's an obvious implication.

I find that people are just plain embarrassed and lean towards social acceptance on the topic of sex, rather than use their own brains. Having said that, I come back to my first question of is it needed? Personally I would like everyone to just relax on the sex topic and not get all bent out of shape, so it looks to me like you have your work cut out for you on two fronts - a new word and a paradigm shift. As for the word itself... A totally new one so not to bring any baggage along with a doner word.

New name for a woman's sex organs

Sat, 06/13/2009 - 00:44
Clara (not verified)

Good idea Amaranth!

And what a coincidence only some days ago I mailed a rhetorical question to an American lady if there is no other word for pussy. I am not a cat! The Dutch has the same equivalent, poesje. It is my "dilemma" to choose the right term in polite conversation.

I opt for and I am going to use Yoni. It is warm in sound and it is, not unimportantly international. It was used recently in some woman's circles I attended in The Netherlands. Sankskrit is the mother of all languages and it is a living language. The spiritual/tantric connotations the word yoni has got as you write, is not so bad. The use of the Sanskrit word for yoni for a woman's sex organs could even become a goal in another aspect. Because had not the Sanskrit understood it already six centuries ago? To get in touch with the Divine through my Yoni?,

Best,

Clara from Amsterdam

"Anatomists created a name

Tue, 06/16/2009 - 17:55
Rachel (not verified)

"Anatomists created a name for the totality of the action-part of the male reproductive organs: penis. No single word has ever been coined that isnt a slang term for that which refers to everything inside and outside a woman's... pussy."

There is no single word for everything inside and outside a man, either. For any gender you can use the term "sex organs" or "reproductive organs". I agree with Lance that "Penis is only the penetrating portion and vagina is the penetrated (or birth) portion so I think those two words are on par."

My friends and I say "parts" or "bits" when we don't feel like using other slang words. Unoffensive and to-the-point. As in, "That movie made my girly-bits happy." Or, "I like it when he shaves his boy-parts." It sounds a bit juvenile - akin to saying "pee-pee" or "hoo-hoo" - but it works. And it makes it clear that there is more than one item down there!

I like "cunt" for meaning vulva-and-vagina, when I'm in company that's not offended by the word.

it is no more correct