Menstrual Cup = Tighter/Wetter Vag

Thu, 06/02/2016 - 11:47

According to a 2011 study, menstrual cups are the shit.  Not only are they cheaper than tampons (a $25 cup lasts you 10 years), but they keep your pc muscle tighter and your vagina more lubricated.

It makes sense since any sort of tampon or pad is going to have bleach and/or other chemicals that can dry you out - and I'm not even going to speculate of carcinogenic additives.  Pushing out to insert and release your cup from your vagina as well as pulling in to get it in place is a monthly workout for your pc muscle (a happy pc muscle is an orgasmic pc muscle).

I love my cup and have my post-birth model ready in my make-up bag.  I haven't started menstruating because I'm still breastfeeding but, now that Grayson is sleeping in his crib (no night nursing), I expect it any day.  Last xmas I gifted several to my women friends and family but I doubt that they're using them.  The idea of emptying a cup full of your menstrual blood groses out some people like no one has ever fished out a bloody tampon or bled through a pad.

Realizing just how much blood I released every month was fascinating because it really wasn't that much.  And I feel more connected to my body going through the process of penetrating my own vagina and discarding my menstrual blood.  So wish someone gave me a cup when I was a teen girl.  It would have changed my life.

Editor in Chief & Keeper of All Things Betty Dodson

Thanks, Carlin

Thu, 06/02/2016 - 22:42
Britt (not verified)

Over three years ago, you inspired me to buy a menstrual cup. I have not looked back. Growing up with a lovely but very private mother, I had to explore all of my feminine hygiene options with little input from her.

Thankfully, as with many things I have learned from you and Dr. Betty, I realized I could make my periods a simple thing with a DivaCup.

I call you two my cool aunts in my head. Thank you for everything. I wouldn't be nearly as sensual and confident in my body as I am today without your website. Sending much love to you!

Choices

Sat, 06/04/2016 - 07:46

I'm glad that you're happy with menstrual cups. My teenage girls were horrified at the ones that I provided recently, along with tampons and pads for them to choose between, to possibly swap and change between. Maybe they'll find them at the back of the drawer and try them when they're older.

Obviously all methods are safe to use though there are organic options available if you're worried about bleach or other chemicals. I'm not.

Perhaps a worry about man-made chemicals might also make using menstrual cups which are made from polymerised silicones tricky. Silicones are artificial polymers that include inert synthetic compunds made up of repeating units of siloxane, ie. a chain of alternating silicon and oxygen atoms not found in nature, frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen.

Silicone and shark week

Sun, 06/05/2016 - 09:01

Yes, silicone is man made, but this is medical grade silicone which is the same stuff that is implanted and left in the body for years and years. That compared to a tampon where you see warnings of toxic shock syndrome everywhere.

I love my menstrual cup because it saves me time, worry, and money. Usually for the first three days I change it twice a day, but a super plus tampon won't last me two hours. It just makes my period a little less of a pain. I wish my mom had been ok with the thought of me putting something in my vagina so I could have had the comfort of the menstrual cup when I was younger. Now I recommend it to my friends whenever the subject of shark week comes up.

Official Site to Remove Judge Persky

Wed, 06/22/2016 - 15:40

Please use this link to donate and/or become connected to the official site moving forward to remove Judge Aaron Persky from the bench over the Brock Turner sentencing. The Change-dot-org petition was useful to spread the word, but any donations there will only be used to further promote change-dot-org.

Removing Judge Persky is important for many reasons, which are well-articulated in this public radio interview: http://www.opb.org/news/article/npr-how-ousting-the-judge-in-the-stanford-sexual-assault-case-could-impact-future-cases/

Menstrual cups, a gift to mankind

Thu, 11/03/2016 - 04:16

Menstrual cups are really a wonder as they keep the dryness away. One of my friends was suggested a cup and she is using it even after her the birth of her baby. Also cups like this are made up of silicone so there is no question of skin rash.