Babies Do Feel Pain & Have Lower Threshold Than Adults

Tue, 04/21/2015 - 07:59

One of the arguments for circumcising day old newborns without anesthesia is that their brains aren't developed enough to feel pain. There was really no research done until now.

Dr. Rebeccah Slater, of Oxford's Department of Pediatrics, scanned the brains of ten healthy infants aged between one and six days old, and compared them to the brains of ten adults aged 23 to 36 years.

MRI scans were taken of the babies’ brains as they were poked on the bottom of their feet with a special retracting rod creating a sensation like being poked with a pencil – mild enough that it did not wake them up.

The researchers found that 18 of the 20 pain regions in adults’ brains also "lit up" in babies’ brains. Scans also showed that babies’ brains had the same response to a weak poke a as adults did to a stimulus four times as strong - suggesting their pain thresholds are lower.

When they wheeled me in for my c-section the surgeon asked if I wanted to have Grayson circumcised. I said that if anyone went near my son's penis it was on. Everyone in the room laughed and my surgeon shared that he hates doing the procedure and he himself wasn't circumcised. It was like a tension lifted.

I couldn't imagine enduring a 20 minutes surgery without pain medication. If only we respected our children and the integrity of their bodies more than our religious affiliation, we'd all be happier.

Editor in Chief & Keeper of All Things Betty Dodson

My Sons and Circumcision

Jenn Muncy's picture
Tue, 04/21/2015 - 13:00

When my firstborn came into the world in 2009 via c-section, my doctor addressed the issue post-surgery.  He simply asked, "Do you want your son circumcized?"  I was prepared to argue.  I said, "Absolutely not."  His response was music to my ears, "Good!  One less barbaric ritual I will have to perform."

I made the decision in advance, and back then I was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Yes, I was a Mormon.  I had already experienced sex with an uncirc'd male earlier in my life.  I knew the benefits of leaving a penis intact.  My decision for my son was straightforward: he was created with an intact penis and it is not my decision to make - it it his.

Although I am not a member of the church or any belief system currently, I stand by my decision.  My boys' penises are not mine.  I cannot make the decision to cut them without a real reason to.  I am hopeful they grow up grateful for the added pleasure they have with their foreskins, and I most-definitely hope they never choose to get snipped.

Coming of Age?

Tue, 04/21/2015 - 11:15

In my twenties, living overseas I was invited to the bris (circumcision) of the first son of a friend of mine, somewhat like being invited to the baptism service for my girls 10 years later.

It was a gathering at home with a mix of family and friends, mostly Jewish but a mix of Ashkenazi and Sephardi which was still quite unusual in those days and created it's own tensions.

The mohel was most definitely not a doctor. There was most definitely no anaesthesia available or used. And at the critical moment, the baby cried; he screamed loud and clear.

I have never been in any doubt that it hurt the baby. The mother couldn't bear to be in the room. The men as one flinched and immediately shouted "Mazel tof". Everyone knew it hurt and it was done anyway - it was "necessary and better young so the boy would forget" She had another two boys, another two circumcisions. Her children love her dearly. One is now a doctor, training to be an anaesthetist.

I'm not sure what I would do if I received the invitation now. This was an important marker in the life of this family, just as my children's baptism and confirmations would be to my family. My friend wanted me to be there and I wanted to support her in what was quite a difficult event, partly because everyone recognised it was going to hurt her baby and partly because family relations were strained.

It is easy for me to disagree with the kind of routine circumcision that seems to take place in the States.

I find the religious or cultural basis within Judaism and Islam more difficult. I would wish that men were left to make their own decision when they are grown up but ofcourse the barmitzvah coming of age ceremony is at 13 years old. Is that old enough to defy your family and faith if a boy genuinely disagrees?

Hooray for this generation of

Tue, 04/21/2015 - 19:06
Krystle (not verified)

Hooray for this generation of intact boys! My son is now 9 and his little intact penis was the first one I ever saw. I swear they asked me 5 times throughout the course of our stay if I wanted him circumcised. It was always met with with a "hell no" and that boy did not leave my sight.
I hope one day that boy realizes how lucky he is. I'm remarrying now and all I'm going to say is foreskins are definitely there for a reason :D

Question

Sat, 04/25/2015 - 02:46
Wondering (not verified)

This leaves me wondering at what point do babies feel pain in the womb and how that would relate to the abortion issue, particularly late term abortions.

If babies do feel pain in the womb would pro-choice supporters be inclined to agree to limitations on abortions involving babies that would feel the pain of it? And when would the cut off be?

How do vaginas become loose

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 13:52
Nicole dominguez (not verified)

I read in other articles of men complain about loose vaginas . I don't understand how this happens when a woman has never given birth ? I have children I was scared they would leave me "loose" after child birth bit my sexual partners sing praises of my vagina being so good and tight
I occasionally do kegals
Is loose vagina genitics or what ?

No Consent No rights Just victims

Thu, 03/31/2016 - 08:41
Richard Hurting (not verified)

I never consented to this ritual done to my penis so now I have denounced my faith. No god of mine will practise this barbarism nor will I ever condone mutilating another human beings genitals for any god, country or relegious freaks. Leave your hands off my body, your nothing but child molesters with sexual fetishes inbred into your relefious decree.