How to Photograph Your Cervix

Tue, 10/15/2013 - 08:12

One of my favorite resources is beautifulcervix.com.  It was started by a doula and it's her "contribution to world peace".

Not many of us know that you can monitor your cervical fluids, a new method of birth control called fertility awareness (f*ck the pill).  You don't need to see a doctor to know when you're fertile during your cycle.  I masturbate with a glass dildo so I know when I'm ovulating by the fluid left behind - white, thick, and stretchy.

There are a ton of wonderful pictures of cervixes at different stages of their monthly cycles. This site is so empowering...and if you want to take a picture of your cervix here's how:

Editor in Chief & Keeper of All Things Betty Dodson

fertility awareness

Tue, 10/15/2013 - 09:28
Mariska (not verified)

Love the pictures on this site (which I had already discovered).

Is fertility awareness a new method really? Is it new in the US? In Germany a method like this, called Natural Family Planning, was designed. In the Netherlands, where I teach this method to women and couples, it is called Sensiplan now (and is as reliable as the pill!). It is about tracking your cycle by taking your temperature every morning, checking the cervical fluids at the entrance of the vagina, and/or touching the cervix to feel how it changes during the cycle (it's a 'double check' method). The woman has to get in touch with these body signals on a daily basis (and touch her own vagina!). Very strict rules are based on these symptoms to determine when the fertile fase starts and ends.

For me, as a young woman of 26, it was huge to learn this method. I never wanted any hormonal birth control. You learn so much about your own body. You're in full control, you only need a thermometer and prints for the cycle notes. It is not yet very well known here in the Netherlands, but more and more women are fed up with the pill and are looking for alternatives to be kinder to their bodies. I love spreading the Sensiplan method, which is already one of the most reliable birth control methods! (if only people knew)

We'd love to republish your

Tue, 10/15/2013 - 10:16

We'd love to republish your work and the Sensiplan method here on D&R...maybe you could write up your own experience with links to anything you need or pics etc.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Fertility Awareness

Tue, 10/15/2013 - 18:18

I think Natural Family Planning is specifically the method used and approved by the Catholic church, whereas the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), although similar, isn't.

Although people do use this method here in the UK it's not that common and I can't imagine many young women would know a lot about it (although fertility monitors are actually getting more popular). So imagine my surprise when I went to get my diaphragm fitted and the nurse suggested FAM to me. She told me it's not something she'd usually suggest to someone my age (early 20s) but I'd gone in there so knowledgable about my cycle and my body that she thought I was responsible enough to do it properly. I had actually been charting my cycle the previous year (cervical fluid, basal body temp etc.) for 12 months, for no other reason than curiosity and wanting to be as informed as possible about my cycle and bodily changes.

Although I decided not to go with FAM at that time (I was happy with giving the diaphragm a go) it's something I definitely want to try in the future. I already did it for a year, just not for contraceptive purposes! One thing is for sure, I'd never touch hormonal contraception.

Sensiplan method

Wed, 10/16/2013 - 07:23
Mariska Post (not verified)

I would looove to write something about Sensiplan for your website, Carlin and Betty. Have been writing three columns in dutch for a feminist website in the Netherlands. It will take some time, because english is not my mother language. I was already very curious if a method like this is known in other countries.

Natural Family Planning method has been around for years. In Germany it is a catholic organisation. In the Netherlands we're an independent organisation now, Sensiplan is the objective method. I have had two years of experience with it myself. It had more benefits for me than just birth control. After charting three cycles my cycles became regular and stayed that way. I can determine very precise when my menstruation will start, which for me, having a terrible first period day, is sooo welcome. I know when to cancel my work, stay in rest at home, no more surprises.

Last year I started the education to be a Sensiplan coach. A woman or couple has to learn the method in a course of four evenings from a coach, then they can manage themselves, for the rest of their lives. The method can also be used if a woman does want to get pregnant, to determine the most fertile days for conception.

send me an email:

Wed, 10/16/2013 - 08:31

send me an email: admin@dodsonandross.com

You could write about your experiences training couples...brilliant

The Netherlands website