Does Anyone Know the Origin of This Image?

Fri, 12/14/2012 - 09:00
Sex, Politics & More Sex

You can do an image search on

Fri, 12/14/2012 - 09:21

You can do an image search on Google. :) Just paste in the address. You'll find lots of information.

That is cool with feminist

Fri, 12/14/2012 - 09:21

That is cool with feminist eyes. But I would guess that it originally wants to show that a woman's sex is worse than the devil.

Thank you, camillala.  Here's

Fri, 12/14/2012 - 10:10

Thank you, camillala.  Here's the story:

One day, the devil and a farmer differed in opinion and decided on a scratching contest to resolve the dispute.

When the devil showed up at the farmer’s house on the appointed day, he was welcomed by the farmer’s wife, instead of her husband. She was crying bitter tears.

“What is the matter?” asked the devil.

“He has spoiled me; I am undone; I die of what he has done me.”

“How,” cried the devil, “what is it?”

“To try his claws,” aswered the wife, “he did but just touch me with his little finger here betwixt the legs, and has spoiled me for ever. Oh! I am a dead woman; I shall never be myself again; do but see!”

The devil, on seeing the terrible wound between the woman’s legs, blessed himself, and cried out, “what a gash!”

That is why this cunning woman in the print is showing her private parts to the devil. To reveal the terrible gash the husband had inflicted upon her with his fearsome claws.

Naturally, the cowardly devil decided it was better not to wait for the farmer with the fearsome claws. He gave up the fight.

The story is known in the Aarne–Thompson classification system as ‘AT 1095’, “Contest in Scratching Each Other with the Nails”.

The engraving is from “The Devil of Pope-Fig Island”[2] illustrated by Charles Eisen as found in an edition of the contes et nouvelles en vers by Jean de La Fontaine, who in this case based his story on a tale found in the Fourth Book of Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais.

The dialogue cited is from Rabelais, translated by Thomas Urquhart and Peter Antony Motteux.

The engraving is known in two versions, uncovered[3] and covered[4], shows French connoisseur Hugues[5].

Cool! I really though it was

Fri, 12/14/2012 - 10:57

Cool! I really though it was some kind of illustration made to demonize the female sex.

Image Question - Ross 12/14

Sat, 12/29/2012 - 13:28

Your image bears a similiarity to works by Agostino Carracci - series: The Loves of the Gods c. 1602