FDA Clears Caya Diaphragm...Available Over-the-Counter Next Year

Mon, 01/19/2015 - 08:56

I recommend the Caya as THE BEST birth control available today (it's also been marketed under the SILCS brand). When used correctly with spermicidal jelly and positioned to cover the cervix, it's 99% safe. (the 1% is when we forget to put it in). The video that's available makes the positioning very clear:

Finally we can protect ourselves from unwanted pregnancies without hormones or intrusive IUD’s or the latest weird system of altering ovulation with yet another hormone as we become experimental lab rats. I'm also happy to say the reusable diaphragm will take a big chunk of profits out of overpriced products produced by big pharmaceutical companies around the world. The Caya means a woman can avoid the cost of seeing a health care professional to get fitted for her diaphragm.

Back in the seventies in one of my Bodysex workshops, I told the story of how my lover could feel the rim of my diaphragm during vaginal penetration. My local druggist Joe and I had become friendly because I was always buying pain pills for the extensive dentistry I was going through back then. This one time I complained about the cost of seeing my Gynecologist to get refitted for a new diaphragm. The one he gave me was too big. Joe offered to sell me a smaller one without a prescription. Yes! This would save me $25 for an office visit plus wasting my time. The number 70 diaphragm was exchanged for a 65 which was a perfect fit.

This started the group discussing the problems they were having with husbands and lovers also complaining about feeling the diaphragm rim during intercourse. When I said it was probably because when it came to vaginas, most men believed bigger was better. We all laughed but then became thoughtful. One woman asked if we could bring in our diaphragms and compare them. The best ideas always came from women in the group so I said yes.

My cute little #65 was a contrast to one woman’s #80 that looked like a saucer without a cup. The same was true for #75 that was also huge. Joe gave me diaphragms from size #60 to #75 so we could try them on during a workshop. In the seventies America had yet to become germ-phobic. We simply washed each diaphragm with soap and water in between self-fittings by each woman. Today every thing oral or genital must take place behind latex. Because Joe loved hearing about my workshops, I was able to buy the smaller sizes women preferred. Out of nine women, five of us felt better using a size below what the doctor had prescribed. We were our own doctors in keeping with the women’s self-help movement that was gaining momentum in feminist circles at the time. I’m happy to announce that today we can celebrate some good news: the Caya diaphragm’s one size will fit all. Brilliant!

Awesome! I commented on a

Mon, 01/19/2015 - 11:26
ACC (not verified)

Awesome! I commented on a post a few weeks ago about the difficulty of filling my diaphragm prescription. I finally got it filled at a local Planned Parenthood and then had to order the spermicidal gel online. Mine expires in a year or so and I definitely plan to try Caya after that. Hopefully more women will get on board...I'll definitely be telling my friends about it. Great news!

GREAT! Caya

Tue, 01/20/2015 - 04:11
Anonymous219 (not verified)

It says it covers from 65-80 mm & if you are not sure of your size contact a professional.

my preferred method

Tue, 01/20/2015 - 07:06

This was my own preferred method in my younger days. I never used the pill - didn't want to injest those chemicals on a daily basis. Didn't like the idea of walking around with an IUD insude of me scraping my insides. Never got pregnant while using the diaphragm.
But looking back, I wonder about the spemicide. I wonder about the chemicals in that and any effect that may have had or may have on women today. Still, it seems the least invasive and healthiest method and I'm glad I stuck with my instincts. At 50, I am very healthy.

I agree with the

Wed, 01/21/2015 - 20:28
Blithe (not verified)

I agree with the recommendation of the diaphragm. I used it successfully for twenty years. It is wonderful to be able to get it without a prescription now.

Everthing's billed as "safe."

Thu, 01/22/2015 - 07:26

Everthing's billed as "safe." Then a few years later I notice the 'bad drug' commercials about the class-action lawsuits. Give any new products at least 5 years until ya use it. More is better.

My initial thought about yet another wonderful new form of female birth control is these are more for men's benefit than women's. Men don't wanna be responsible for getting women pregnant, or become daddies. Consequently there's a gazillion different methods of female birth control allowing men to go on having sex. But all but one is designed for women to use (condoms et al.) And they all seem to be originating in the USA. Seems the abortion controversy has given rise to many forms of birth control preventing conception, and those which terminate contraception remain controversal as with RU-486 and Plan B.

If you wanna have sex, but not get pregnant, could try the old-fashioned method and learn a little bit about how pregnancies comeabout too ya know. Don't have to use drugs which cause cancer, liver failure, and whatever else, or terminate established pregnancies, or get proper abortions. Can just not get pregnant in the first place. Don't let men ejaculate inside your vagina (planning on mitigating a rape doesn't seem like a good way to go through life, like people who buy guns on the offchance they ever need to defend themselves.) Wanna reduce the chance even more, learn your own ovulation cycle. A woman can only get pregnant a few days out of every month typically. And for the ultimate, learn how to have sex anally and orally. Most guys wont complain about a woman who requests oral or anal sex during her fertile days to reduce chances of conception.

There's so many ways to avoid becomming pregnant, but listening to the government and for-profit medical industry you'd think you need something artifical to do it. My standard of living has long been, 'If I shouldn't eat it, I shouldn't put it on or in my body.' Anything you put on yoru skin is absorbed whole or in part into your bloodstream. If you can't pronounce it, don't smear it onto your skin then wonder why you got cancer. If you shouldn't put it in your mouth, don't put it on your skin - same thing. If you wouldn't give it to your 12 year-old 'able-to-become-pregnant' daughters, don't say how safe and wonderful it is.

Jeffrey you left one obvious conderation.

Thu, 01/22/2015 - 15:30

Birth control by approaching a far simpler method of snipping that tiny cord that connects a man's sperm in his balls that is released upon ejaculation through his penis. Dude still ejaculates, but there's  no live sperm swimming in it. This is a simple office procedure done with no pain and a lot of gain.

Caya

Tue, 01/27/2015 - 02:26

I can entirely recommend the Caya diaphragm. I’ve had it for 6 month now and I really love it. Handling is great! And nobody has complained thus far ;)
Greetings from Germany

Caya

Sat, 03/21/2015 - 17:14
Rachel (not verified)

Hey all! I just got my Caya in the mail on Monday and found it to not fit! Even though I was measured by my gynecologist as a 65. Anyways I was really frustrated bc I bought the Caya on eBay (which I have been told by others is perfectly ok and they have had good experiences with buying it on eBay). I was so bummed that it didn't fit and obviously I couldn't send it back because I had already used it and they couldn't resell. I got in touch with the Caya company and told them my situation. They told me that it was not available in the us so whoever I bought it from should not be selling them. I had to report him to Caya and they are going to investigate th situation. I was told by Caya that it should finally be in the U.S. in a month to be prescribed by your dr! Great news! Anyways today after I had sex, (sorry for the tmi) I decided to try the Caya to see if being aroused made a difference and it did! The Caya fit fine once I was aroused and more "open" haha. I haven't tried it out during sex so I'm not sure how that will be but I just wanted to let you all know my experience in case anyone else runs into this. My issue with fitting was that when I am t aroused it doesn't seem to fit perfectly behind my pubic bone like it is supposed to, but it does cover my cervix just fine. I am happy to know its going to fit me! I was so upset at the thought of having to stay on the pill. I'm going to my gyn on Friday for an exam so I'm going to show her the Caya and ask her to make sure it fits me exact and is completely covering my cervix ( no babies for m right now!) hah hope this helps. Will keep yall updated ☺️

Caya question

Sun, 03/22/2015 - 08:58
Rachel (not verified)

Is Gynol spermicide Okay to use with the Caya??

Caya

Mon, 04/13/2015 - 02:31
Phoebe (not verified)

I got the Caya a few months ago from a German site -- barrier methods. The site is a bit wonky but legit. You can also buy "old fashioned" diaphragms on the site, though they are quite a bit more expensive. The Caya is also available on a Canadian site (just google "buy caya"). You can also buy contragel on these sites, yippee! I am a 70mm & the only person my midwife had ever fitted for a diaphragm.

Can't recommend

Fri, 05/29/2015 - 21:44
Pregnant (not verified)

Switched from IUD to Caya and got pregnant within a week. Happy about it, but it wasn't really in my plans...

Received and relieved!

Sun, 06/28/2015 - 12:42
submissive_girl (not verified)

:D I got my Caya in last week!

When i talked to a local sexual health nurse about being fitted, she said they don't even do fittings anymore, because the Caya is available, and is "OS". I was a little surprised she wouldn't see me, but a little relieved as well :)

I didn't even need to ask a doctor, the sexual health nurse said I could order it in via my pharmacist! I did so, and it was in within 4 business days.
My partner and I haven't used it together during couple sex, but i find it quite comfortable when I play with myself ;)

]It was easy to insert, easy to take out. Looks a little messy...but I like messy!

I still have to buy the spermicide that goes with it, so I'll likely stay on the bc pills i've been taking...but I have to admit, I'm really excited to get off the pill! This will be my first time being off hormonal birth control in a verrrry long time!

I agree with most of this,

Fri, 01/29/2016 - 03:24
Claire L (not verified)

I agree with most of this, but I would just like to point out that "if you can't pronounce it don't use it" is a silly fallacy. Everything has a complicated scientific name and all foods have various nutrients in them all with their own scientific names.
"For example, a very scary-sounding and hard to pronounce ingredient is "cyanocobalamin."  It sounds like cyanide -- so could it kill you?  But cyanocobalamin's other name is good old vitamin B12"