Will Using Organic Oil for Lubrication Give Me UTIs?

Thu, 07/03/2014 - 09:17

Dear Dr. Betty,

I'm 59, and I have just started to learn how to have enjoyable sex. I've been plagued all my life with UTIs.

I've been warned to use only water based lubrications or I'll get UTI's, and/or urethritis. When researching G spot orgasms, I read that almond oil is the best lubricant, but again, I have not tried it because of the fear of getting my urethrae clogged, thus getting a UTI.

Can you please explain how these organic oils work with the genitalia and how they will, or will not create a problem.

Dear K,

Congratulations on exploring sex as a postmenopausal woman. Just want you to know that some of my best partner sex took place during the decade of my seventies. Since you are past getting pregnant, use almond oil or organic coconut oil. All of those water based lubes are full of nasty chemicals and are intended to be used with latex. Unless your partner is wearing a condom as a form of protection against contacting or spreading some form of STI (sexually transmitted infection). As senior citizens I doubt this is the case.

Do yourself a BIG favor and forget the G spot. At best it's very indirect clitoral stimulation by pressing on the ceiling of your vagina irritating the urinary tract that sits on the other side. You might consider getting a vibrator and use it above or on the side of your clitoris during vaginal penetration.

Read around on the website for more sexual information. It's always a good idea to urinate after partnersex. Urine is antiseptic and flushes out your urinary tract automatically. Also a product called D-Mannose which is a white powder mixed in water is a great natural way to flush out the urinary tract. Try to avoid antibiotics as they create a bigger problem. Happy orgasms,

Dr. Betty

thank you for this question, I've wanted to ask the same!!!

Mon, 07/07/2014 - 10:34
same (not verified)

I've also had a lot of diffiuclty over the course of my life with UTI/bladder infections.
I am 28, but have had enough UTIs for a lifetime.

Cranberry juice/concentrate pills is a good preventative measure for urinary tract health, it keeps the ph balance the way its supposed to be.

I've always been too scared to try the sweet almond oil because get UTIs so easily, but Ive heard the wonderful things Betty says about it.

I'm worried that because my clit is close-ish to my urethra, some of the oil-based lube might drop in there and my body will hate me and get an infection since I'm already prone to UTIs. They are painful and no fun, and I've developed resistances to antibitoics because of it!! It's terrible.

Thank you for asking this question, K!

Tip on UTIs - stop taking baths - it really works!

Mon, 07/07/2014 - 17:21

For a period if 5 years I was plagued with one UTI after another, one which developed into a kidney infection, and then sepsis...I nearly died when in septic shock, but made it...obviously.

A woman came up to me at work and besides being surprised I was still alive, she gave me a tip that I thought was ridiculous - but it worked! Most UTIs are caused by bacteria, and even though a woman must be careful how to wipe, and keep clean....what if you do those steps and STILL wind up with bad urinary infections? Well she flat out told me - stop taking baths. I though this was some BS wives tale sort of cure, but she swore by it, having suffered like I had. I was so sick all the time, I figured I would stick only with showers....no UTI in ten years counting! And I do have my bubble baths now, but I wash the genital and rectal area before I sit in the tub water. For some strange reason, because of our anatomy, even in a tub, microbes from the rectum can invade the urinary tract! That was my rationalization, but it worked for me, even though I tried the cranberry juice, washed my crotch forever, wiped the right way, etc...yet still caught severe UTIs until I took a long respite from baths.

So, I share this tip here now, just in case somebody wants to try it....I never thought not taking a bath would work, but it did!

Turn off the inflammation processes with nutrition

Tue, 07/08/2014 - 02:37
Lizzie Smith (not verified)

Dear K, dear commentators.
I used to be a veteran in lost war against urinary tract infections until my menopause. Several other miserable chronic illnesses started to creep in and I realized this is only going to get worse if I let it.
Hated the idea of popping all sorts of disabling, dangerous prescription medicines. They had me gain weight and made a mess of my ability to concentrate, sleep and be sexually active.
I found out about nutrition. You eat 4-6 times a day all your life. Nutrition is the most important cornerstone of your health determining with 90 percent share how you are doing. A lot of emphasis is said to be on physical activity, and the genes, but in fact they contribute only with 10-15 percent to our health.
No use running marathons to lose weight permanently or getting healthy if you compose your diet poorly. See what sports and nutrition specialist Dr. Tim Noakes writes from South Africa.
So, I tried different diets. Finally stayed with the principles of LCHF (low carb high fat). Skipped sugars, sweet fruit, pasta, bread, processed refined nutrients. Started eating organic coconut oil, butter, vegetables, nuts, seed, eggs, red meat. The inflammation processes subsided along with stabilized insulin levels. Had my last UTI over 20 years ago.
Magic bullet -thinking introduced by the big Pharma does not help in illnesses. Adding one or two single nutrients like cranberry to an otherwise poorly combined pro inflammation diet is pointless. The big Pharma seldom encourages us to incur the inconvenience of making profound lifestyle changes with lasting impact.

Nutririon & Menopause

Tue, 07/08/2014 - 08:32

Aside from the UTI issues, there's a lot of advice out there on what a woman should or shouldn't eat out to get through the menopause as easily as possible. I'm glad LCHF worked for you.

Other advice that I've heard include:
Avoiding stimulants late at night (no coffee, tea, chocolate or spicy food)
Balance your sugar levels - eat complex carbohydrates that release energy slowly,  go for slow release snacks like nuts & dried fruit rather than high sugar processed foods
Eat a little bit less. Exercise a little bit more.
Try to include foods with phyto-oestrogens such as soya products, celery, rhubarb, green beans
I'd like to hear what has worked for people.

I May Be The Odd Ball...but

Tue, 07/08/2014 - 09:11

Many of my female friends got hit with menopause hard, even as early as 38 years old.
I started peri-menopause in my mid 50s. At first I was plagued by many hot
flashes, and because I am so fair skinned, my face lit up like a red light bulb. My
friends at work laughed at me because it was so obvious they used to buy me fans as a joke for my station. Lucky for me I am thick skinned with a sense of humor and was able to cope with the public display. After a few years, they sort of went away, only getting hot flashes once in a while that lasted for a week or so and then dissipated again. I was spared the menopausal vaginal dryness, still enjoy sex and can lube up naturally like crazy, no change in orgasmic response, no UTIs anymore since I was cured per previous post, I take no hormones, do not eat right, do not avoid any foods or restrict diet, do not exercise regularly - although that is good to do to build up bone mass. The last bone density test I had showed only minor osteoporosis…..No clue why. Maybe I will defy aging altogether?

Born Lucky

Tue, 07/08/2014 - 10:05

It's great to hear a positive story and I think a sense of humour seems to be the one essential to the whole process. Thank you for sharing.