Feel Like I Need to Pee All the Time

Thu, 11/21/2013 - 09:36

Dear Dr. Betty,

I know that no one here is an actual medical doctor, but I am desperate and was hoping to get some feedback before I may have to get someone to take me for an embarrassing trip to the doctor (I dont drive, so I cannot keep it private by then, I would have to explain it to the person driving me and I would rather not have to tell them, they are family), only to turn up nothing, or the doctor just puts me on antibiotics right away, and they do not work. I have read that they can kill the good flora in my vulva.

After a recent masturbation session with my silicone dildo, about 12 hrs later, I had and am still having about 4 days later, a strange uncomfortable pulsing tingling feeling around my urethra and vagina. It makes me feel like I have to go to the bathroom almost all the time, it feels sort of raw.

I admit in my excitement with my dildo, I was overzealous with it, and pumped myself hard. I was wet at this time so I was not totally dry.

I have done quite a few internet searches, and read about utis, bladder infections, and internal cystitis. The one thing I have read about infections is a burning sensation when urinating, but I do not exactly burn, more like a throbbing that gets worse right after urination, then subsides somewhat after. One day it was very bad, almost unbearable, yesterday, it felt alot better, and today, it is back again. It seems to come and go.

I am afraid I have done serious damage, and this feeling will never go away, and that I may never be able to masturbate or use a dildo or vibrator again.

I have cut out sugary drinks, no soda, coffee, have been drinking water, and I recently ordered some d-mannose powder, after reading about it here and online.

I think that I have at least irritated my urethral opening, and thought that wiping alot from needing to pee so much may have what brought back the unpleasant throbbing again.

So for now, I have refrained from masturbating, hoping my vulva/urethra will sort it self out.

please can anybody help me, before I may have to go to the doctor.

S

Dear S,

You most likely have a UTI or at least, a urinary tract discomfort. I avoid using the word "infection" because it's often just an "irritation" which will heal on it's own. The D-mannose is great. It flushes out the urinary tract naturally. Although urinating can continue to be discomforting for a few days, this too shall pass. It sounds as though you are doing all the right things.

Your embarrassment over going to the doctor is probably related to your guilt feelings about fucking yourself silly with a new dildo. Just so you know, most dedicated masturbators have gone through something similar at some point. As a matter of fact, several months ago I even bragged about masturbating for so long that I gave myself a UTI. I think we deserve a medal for our devotion to self-inflicted orgasms!

Dr. Betty

One should be careful, though

Thu, 11/21/2013 - 16:29
Elin A (not verified)

One should be careful, though and not wait too long. A UTI can spread to the kidneys, which is extremely painful and also dangerous. It's possible you've been given an antibiotic that doesn't work for you. Keep track of what you've taken and consult your doctor.
To prevent this shit from happening, make sure to pee and drink lots of water directly after having been penetrated, so the urethra is properly flushed. And clean your toys both BEFORE and after use.I don't understand why this is embaressing at all. It happens all the time.

Fri, 11/22/2013 - 06:23

thank you for your reply, that is funny, we should get medals, my room would be quite crowded with medals if I got one for all the years I have done some self loving.

It might be amusing to be able to brag but for me, I dont think I want to go through another UTI again, having family take me to the doctor for UTIs would get awkward, how would I explain this everytime, especially to dear dad. In addtion, I have no health insurance so doctor visits would get expensive as well. I cant afford to get sick at all let alone constant UTIs from wanking.

With that said, what would be the best way to/or things I can do to avoid this again, I certainly do not want to have to give up masturbating or using my dildo.

Perhaps as preventitive measure, I could drink some D-mannose powder in some water after each masturbation session.

I also read online that imbalances in the good bacteris/flora of the vulva can set the stage for recurrent UTIs. Should I take lactobacillus suppliments? or just eat alot of yougurt with live cultures?

Maybe I need to use lots of lube each time with my dildo, I have not always, sometimes I have been in a rush for a quick wank before anybody gets home & I get caught, so I forget to use lube. Privacy can sometimes be hard to come by. I read about coconut oil being good for the vulva. My dildo is made of silicone, I try to avoid those cheap jelly ones.

I just dont want this to be the beginning of constant UTIs.

Regardng the embarrasment,

Fri, 11/22/2013 - 12:50
Viola100 (not verified)

Regardng the embarrasment, then you can get a UTI from out of nowhere, sometimes if you've been too cold. Some women get them a lot, and the advice is to make sure you stay warm, i.e. in the winter wear warm underwear, etc.

I've had the irritation you describe and it wasn't from masturbation/sex, and it always passed without antibiotics.

If you do take anti-biotics you can take pro-biotics afterwards to re-establish your intestinal balance.

Always use some form of luberication

Betty Dodson's picture
Fri, 11/22/2013 - 16:00

for any and all acts of vaginal or anal penetration. Like she said, being in a hurry to get off before some member of the family appears causes us to rush. Bad News! We need to take our time with an abundance of clitoral stimulation and coconut oil before vaginal penetration. Any good organic nut oil like avacado or walnut providing there are no alergies will do wonder down under.

Shyandcurious, There should

Fri, 11/22/2013 - 18:47
Elin A (not verified)

Shyandcurious,
There should be nothing awkward about this. Get over your shame. Also, you wouldn't need to explain anything. Some people are just more suceptible to UTIs than others. And get health insurance now!!

is it safe to use a dildo while recovering, feel much better now

Sun, 11/24/2013 - 05:07

Is it a good idea to use condoms on my dildo to help keep it clean?

Another thought, can one develop an allergy to latex? I have been using a latex condom on my dildo. So far I have had no problems, but wonder if I could become allergic.

Is it safe for me to use my dildo while I am recovering from my UIT? or should I wait until it is gone? I do feel quite a bit better now, but I do not want to reinfect myself.

shyandcurious

Sat, 11/23/2013 - 10:20

Hi, I had a serious problem with UTIs after falling off horses onto my lower back (falls onto the back frequently precipitate UTIs in women). What I have found that succeeds for me is taking a little apple cider vinegar in water every day -- a tablespoon or so, but less if for some reason the vinegar bothers you -- it seems to prevent UTI occurrence.

Frequently, antibiotics do not work at curing UTIs. My mother fell onto her back, went through the course of antibiotics, and the UTI did not go away until she started the vinegar routine.

avid wankers

Sun, 11/24/2013 - 10:46

I just got over my third UTI in about a year or so. Never used to have them. I think it's related to my avid wanking, although not sure why since I keep my toys clean, use lube, etc. I don't think I always drink lots of water and pee immediately afterwards, so maybe I should make it a point to do that. A doctor I respect recommends taking Vit C to ward off UTIs but I haven't tried it yet.
My doctor tries to figure out why I am getting UTIs. I told her I masturbate. If she asks again, I'm just going to tell her my wise Aunt Betty says that most avid wankers can expect the occasional UTI. I wonder what she will think of that.

shyandcurious, better to

Sun, 11/24/2013 - 14:09
Elin A (not verified)

shyandcurious,
better to clean it properly before use with an antibacterial toy cleaner (and afterwards). wait until you're fully recovered. if your urinary tract is still irritated, you're more suceptible to infection than if it's completely healed. just like any wound.
and perhaps you should try a glass dildo to minimize the friction when you masturbate.

I don't know how old you are

Mon, 11/25/2013 - 05:51

I don't know how old you are but if you are able to I highly recommend vodka and cranberry juice.  The juice helps treat the infection and the vodka numbs the nerves when you pee.  Definitely do something because a UTI can spread to the kidneys if left untreated, but you don't need to go to the doctor unless you see blood in your urine.

If you do take antibiotics then make sure you also take strong doses of probiotics to replace the good bacteria that antibotics kills.

I strongly disadvice you to

Mon, 11/25/2013 - 16:28
Elin A (not verified)

I strongly disadvice you to do the vodka thing. Alcohol inhibits your immune system further, thus healing from the infection will take longer and the risk of a relapse increases.
Also, you need to be peculiar about which cranberry juice you choose. Most of them contain very little cranberry and a shitload of sugar, which actually enables the bacteria to cultivate further. It's useless. Get 100% natural cranberry juice. It's extremely sour but you can mix it with water.

Chill out Elin, I'm talking

Fri, 11/29/2013 - 19:53

Chill out Elin, I'm talking about a shot of vodka not the bottle.  It's been my experience that it heals the infection quicker otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it.
A pure, clear spirit like vodka acts like a disenfectant.  Rub some on an infected gum and watch it heal quickly.  What do you think doctors used before antibiotics were invented?
Sugar is definitely an issue that I didn't consider.  The cranberry juice in stores here don't have a high sugar level but perhaps in other countries it is different.
Don't knock it til you try it.

Chill out? Sure. Personally,

Sun, 12/01/2013 - 08:30

Chill out? Sure. Personally, I prefer well-read where medical advice is concerned. But hey, we're all different.
How do you know that it "acts like a disenfectant" in the bladder and urinairy tract after passing through the body? How do you know your "experience" isn't coincidental? And what doctors used "before antibiotics"? Nothing that actually worked as far as science is concerned.

Explain the placebo effect

Mon, 12/02/2013 - 05:48

Medical science is only about 200 years old.  A lot of amazing discoveries have been made in that time but scientists and doctors don't know everything, and the release of information is controlled by the companies that pay those scientists.
In my opinion we would be wise to consider all avenues in life.  Natural therapies have been used for thousands of years and have worked for myself personally, where doctors have no answers or antibiotics are no longer working.  Chinese medicine changed a friend of the family from bed ridden with approx 3 months to live to going home, able to go out and 2 more years with her family with good quality of life.  More and more doctors are encouraging their patients to combine medical treatment and natural therapies.
If you like to be well-read then you will be interested in the numerous published studies on megavitamin therapy, including research being conducted at the University of California Berkely.
As one of my teachers once told me, just because something hasn't been tested on a lab rat doesn't mean it isn't true.

OK I'll explain the placebo effect :)

Tue, 12/03/2013 - 06:43

Each human has as many component parts as the entire economy of the world. So we can talk up the world economy and everything is more prosperous. Nothing was added except more confidence and so more motivation. In human terms we alter the brain chemistry from a bad one to a healthy one of excitement and anticipation. And just like stage fright can effect your stomach, brain chemistry controls and regulates the body. If your dead beat tired when you get news that you've won 10 million dollars, see how animated and energetic you get :)

The brain is the bodies control centre and natural pharmacy so physiology is a valid part of illness recovery, it's just that physiology is barely a science at the moment. That could change when we know more about the circuitry of the brain and body. If a medical practice works it serves us all to try and prove it scientifically.

Mele, my response was in

Tue, 12/03/2013 - 14:57

Mele, my response was in regards to your rethorically posted question "What do you think doctors used before antibiotics were invented?" in the context of alcohol consumption.
The question suggests you think doctors used alcohol where we use antibiotics today, that is internally to aid the immune system. It also suggests you believe that it actually worked. Which, since alcohol is proven a strong depressant to the immune system, is doubtful to the extreme.
I don't see how placebo and alternative medicine has anything to do with the discussion.

I think I can settle this :)

Tue, 12/03/2013 - 16:18

Alcohol is a topical disinfectant, but not taken internally because it's digested. Then it effects the nervous system and does numb pain, but may slow recovery from infection as a down side. But I could see how it could work combined with something that increases recovery. I would personally go for a well tested medication taken after searching it's active and inactive ingredients and what each one does. If the ingredients aren't acceptable I'd look at some non tested therapies with strong good quality antidotal evidence.

From my end

Sat, 01/11/2014 - 19:29
Relieved (not verified)

D-Mannose, Bromelain, probiotics, using Alocadabra lube, and my Quantum Touch facilitator, together with getting lots of sleep abd water have all helped - also I take ACV and oregano oil regularly.

But the thing that's been most effective for me are (drumroll ... )

Carlson Key-E Suppositories! I use half of one a night. It feels wonderful down there!

Sincerely,