Will All the Progress I Made with Masturbation End if I Take This Medication?

Wed, 09/04/2013 - 15:07

Hi Dr. Betty.

I am a 17 year old girl. I emailed you about 2 years ago when I was first learning to masturbate. I can happily say that I have an orgasm almost every day now. Thank you for all your help. But now I have another concern. Today I went to the doctor and was prescribed Lexapro for anxiety and depression. I haven't taken any yet, and I did some research online so I know a little bit about it before I start taking it. I saw that some of the side effects are a decreased sex drive and difficulty reaching orgasm.

I am concerned that all the progress I have made with masturbating will go down the drain if I start taking this medication. It will be very frustrating if I am unable to reach orgasm again. What do you think I should do? I don't want to have to explain to the doctor or my parents why I don't want to take it. Do you think it would be okay if I tried it for a few weeks, or do you think I should just not take it?

Thanks again for your advice and for all the information you put out there. You are really changing lives!

-A

Dear A,

Since your orgasms are pleasurable as well as reliable, DO NOT TAKE THE ANTI-DEPRESSANT unless you are contemplating suicide or doing some kind of bodily harm. I am furious with doctors who prescribe these drugs to a teen who by definition ought to be anxious given the world we live in. Add to that you're going through puberty and dealing with all the sex negativity crap this society throws at us. If you think you feel anxious now, just imagine how much worse it would be struggling to have an orgasm and often failing. Next time you feel anxious, just move your body with some form of physical exercise including masturbation. Also avoid fast foods in your diet that we already know are unhealthy.

C'mon girl, I'm rooting for you to stay drug free, healthy and orgasmic. The links will provide more information about the truth behind these awful anti-depressants that are making Big Pharma disgustingly rich.

Dr. Betty

Physical exercise including masturbation should ease your mind.

Thu, 09/05/2013 - 10:56

A, I agree with Betty, try regular exercise maybe swimming or cycling.  If you feel a bit down then masturbate and keep going as long as you can, as Betty decsribes in this video:-
"Back off" for 15 secs or so after you orgasm and then continue to masturbate.  Betty sayes that when she was young, she mastubated for 3 or 4 hrs, and if you do that, it should lift your spirits.

I'm rooting for you too.

Its all about the gut!

Thu, 09/05/2013 - 18:34

Seriously - more and more research is confirming what many adults have found out on their own: gut health = mental health. +75% of the body's serotonin is in the GUT NOT THE BRAIN so treating depression and anxiety by focusing on serotonin levels in the brain often doesn't work. This is a fact that is not debated. Think about it - where do you feel anxiety in your body? In your stomach and digestive system! The best antidepressant you can take is a probiotic supplement and probiotic foods like kefir, yogurt, kevita, and most all raw, naturally fermented sauerkraut - but they have to be taken/ eaten on a daily basis to be effective. Besides healing the gut, probiotics produce chemicals that increase serotonin levels, which you will experience as a lightening of mood and ease from anxiety. Best probiotic for the money: Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Complete - order it online from pureformulas.com and take 1 in the morning, 1 hour before breakfast. Best probiotic food - homemade, raw, fermented sauerkraut (NOT made with vingar) - 1/2 cup every morning with breakfast. Its much cheaper to make yourself if you can find it in the store at all:
The track record for anti-depressents is abysmal and the side effects are unacceptable. Depression and anxiety are signals that something is awry, so treat the root cause - or at least the nutritional need - and be on your merry way!

Yogurt is an ineffective probiotic

Thu, 09/05/2013 - 13:57

I have read that yogurt is an ineffective probiotic as are other functional foods that claim to contain probiotic microorganisms, but I do not know about their effect upon depression.

Dear A

Thu, 09/05/2013 - 14:32

I did not see anything in your letter to Betty describing how serious your depression and anxiety are. Did your doctor do a thorough physical, including a complete metabolic panel, or was this his/her only response? I agree with labialover (and studies have shown) that exercise is the best antidepressant in the world, but you need to tell us how severe your situation is. I truly hope you can feel better without these drugs!

I certainly agree yogurt

Thu, 09/05/2013 - 18:32

I certainly agree yogurt doesn't pack the probiotic punch for me, but it is enough for some. As I mentioned above, the most concentrated probiotic food I have discovered and notice a visceral difference is with raw sauerkraut that has naturally fermented for the full 3-4 week period - this is without any vinegar. Its amazing. As for the gut-brain connection, there is a ton of research coming out on this, even while its already been implemented in some dietary protocols like the GAPS Diet with some noteworthy success. If I hadn't personally experienced this for myself, then I wouldn't be recommending it. Certainly "no harm no foul" since we are only talking about a health food everyone should be eating anyway and not a prescription drug.

There are many people for

Fri, 09/06/2013 - 09:16
lsjb (not verified)

There are many people for whom depression and/or anxiety cripple their daily lives and the well being of their families. Without knowing the history and symptoms associated with her diagnosis, focusing on diet and exercise, is an unfinished solution.
Even with medication, exercise, diet , pro biotics etc are important to your best health. Emotional stability is a by-product of genetics plus environment.  A young person of 19 now, who needed the advice of an MD had reasons to make the appointment.  I don't know the doc or the girl's motivation, or most importantly the severity of her problem.
Typically, side effects regarding sex, may, include lower desire, and difficulty achieving orgasm. Some report absolutely no difference, others say the orgasms take longer to achieve.  Personally, if my depression was creating great difficulty with my life, and if i had tried the diet/exercise/etc route, to no avail, i would surely consider meds  Even more helpful, would be trying therapy for a while.
The best side effect is the absence of emotional pain.
In the end, making a rational decision regarding taking drugs should not be bundled up with how many orgasms you may, maybe, miss.
Compromised Orgasms/Depression, hmm, which should i choose.  The side effects, again, when they occur, often disappear with some time.

Personally, if Pharma makes a buck off my improved mental health, they deserve it. Taking meds is a personal choice. No drug salesman or doctor puts the pill in your mouth.
Keep your options open.

itsabouttime

Fri, 09/06/2013 - 12:41

Hey there, fellow sauerkraut lover! I don't think you mentioned that the sauerkraut should not be cooked. We have Morse's here in Maine which makes superb sauerkraut; my favorite is when it's still bubbly, which they call champagne kraut. The Common Speech at the Common Ground Fair on Friday this year is going to be about fermentation and I'm hoping to hear it.

It's great to hear someone writing about the gut-brain connection. The gut is the home of the body's largest nervous system and runs the circulatory system, etc. When people take SSRIs it ruins their guts because of the multitudinous serotonin receptors in the gut, which you pointed out. The older I get, the more credence I give to the "alternative" view that the gut is the foundation of health.

it's her fault for telling

Wed, 11/06/2013 - 17:45
kuu (not verified)

it's her fault for telling not telling her doctor she needs a sex life. they give you something else then. that is where i went wrong. now i hate my bi polar meds. i wasn't trying to kill myself or someone else. i just was not enjoying much and not fun to be around.

i forgot that a sex life with yourself is more fufilling than partnered, and said i dind't care.

now i suffer because of it. i thoght libido killing medication was only a problem if you were in relationship that would end due to lack of sex