Will the Hitachi Desensitize My Clit?

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 14:49

Hi Betty

I'm thinking about buying a Hitachi magic wand. Here in Australia we have the Medisil Magic Wand, that has been designed to fit our power source.

I have great orgasms using a Doc Johnson ivibe rabbit, but the battery compartment cracks and I've been through two of them since Feb with my daily orgasm routine.

This is what a local shop here in Sydney says about the Hitachi, and I just wondered if you could give me your opinion on whether using a vibrator desensitizes you to like this advice suggests:

"We always advise our customers in store that using a vibrator is relative to what has been used before. If you are new to the use of Magic Wand vibrators we suggest a less powerful choice first (without batteries) like the LELO range. This way there is always some where else to go when (and if) your body gets used to the vibrator in use. If you start with a Hitachi magic wand equivalent there is little else place to go, other then a session on your washing machine.

So whilst it remains one of our best seller vibrators and does the job its has been tasked to do in record time (less than 20 seconds in some cases), we do advise to "use with caution".

Dear J,

Well my first reaction to your Aussie store's advice was, "This is a crock of crap!" The idea that the Wand will leave you with no where else to go is a moot point. If you are happy with your orgasms using a Wand why would you want to go anywhere else? I'd say you've found "true love" so stay with it. It sounds like your store is just trying to sell more vibrators.

There is an art to using a vibrator just like anything else. I always recommend women slow down, stretch out the pleasure by moving the Wand around and never bear down for more stimulation. It doesn't work. Why would anyone want to come within a few seconds? No one is THAT busy! I recommend putting a sock on the head of the Wand to soften the vibes and suggest avoid using the Hi setting except for body massage. Some women use it on top of their panties or some other soft fabric.

The notion that any woman who uses a vibrator becomes "desensitized" is more crap! Imagine telling a guy he has desensitized his penis from too many blow jobs. He'd laugh and say it's simply his sexual preference. Women worry about not being able to come from Romeo's fingers, tongue or penis. Meanwhile Romeo only has a few minutes to spare when it comes to Juliet's sexual pleasure. I'd say the vibrator levels the orgasm playing field.

A new battery vibrator has just become available called the http://www.goodvibes.com/display_product.jhtml?id=12AH21&kbid=61696">Mystic Wand. It is my new favorite vibe. She's smaller, with a softer head and pretty lights to show you which setting you're on and there are five different ones altogether. We are in the process of changing our sex shop to be an affiliate with Goodvibes.com so in a week or so, you can order the Mystic Wand from me.

Happy Vibrating,
Dr. Betty

Heard the same. . .

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 16:14
LT (not verified)

I've heard that through Extended Massive Orgasm and Extended Sexual Orgasm practioners that vibrators desensitize and the clitorus has to be retrained to feel through a lighter stroke.

I've also been told it limits the wave of orgasm that can happen beyond the clitoris is limited.

Dear LT until you experience

Betty Dodson's picture
Tue, 06/22/2010 - 18:40

Dear LT until you experience something don't go by what you "hear."
The two books that you mentioned are focused on a woman being "given" an orgasm by her partner and that naturally means a different experience with a different kind of clitoral stimulation either by fingers or tongue.

Until men are trained in Extended Massive Pleasures or have learned how to Extend Sexual Orgasms, I still say a vibrator is a girls best friend. In my youth, I could vibrate for several hours but that required some skills in knowing how on to handle my electric vibrating machine. In my seventies, I loved to have partnersex with intercourse while I used a vibrator on my clitoris for an hour or more of extended massive pleasures with more than one orgasm. Several times I remember my youthful partner wearing out while I continued on to have yet another orgasm.

I repeat, a vibrator is simply a sexual preference, not a crutch or an addiction.

this is just my experience

BellaFigura's picture
Tue, 06/22/2010 - 19:10

this is just my experience but I've been vibing for years and feel it has increased my sensitivity and sexual self-knowledge not decreased it...usring the vibe helped me discover what areas  like a light or heavy touch, and then I was able to talk with the dh and adjust during partner sex.  We still do the regular partner lovemaking thing but we bring in the vibe when we're especially horney...sometimes it's me and now more often it's him...yeah!!!

I've used an electric

Mon, 07/19/2010 - 23:50
sally (not verified)

I've used an electric toothbrush and i feel as though i have become a little dependent on it... my fingers don't feel the way on me that they used to anymore. i decided to ditch the brush when i noticed this, so i'm hoping that either its just my imagination, or that the desensitization i've experienced will go away if i stop using it.

I used a small mini massager

Tue, 02/18/2014 - 11:05
Elle-Jay (not verified)

I bought a mini massager from a friend who works for a sex toy shop and I used it over my vulva, hood and clit but after a few minutes it all went numb. Did I use it wrong and will the feelings come back?

Elle Jay ask your question at "Ask Dr. Betty" on the website

Betty Dodson's picture
Tue, 02/18/2014 - 14:19

Better yet, Go into the website and check out information on how to best use a vibrator.
You can't leave in one place without numbing out.

Desensitized vagina and clitoris

Thu, 07/17/2014 - 18:37
Annonymous (not verified)

I have been using external vibrators for 41 years. I am a very young 60. I had a month or so of a very high sexual desire. I was using my vibrator and was pressing very hard. During that time I became totally numb. It's like it's dead. It's been well over a month since that happened and I have not recovered any sensation whatsoever. I am truly scared. How long does it take to come back or after so many years I've done permanent damage?? To top it off I've just met the love of my life and I can't feel a thing? How long???